Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· What time is Matlock on?
16,591 Posts
multiple brands, but usually you can find a greddy type-0 in classified sections. If you get the type that just splices into the ignition wire and runs off of when you turn the car off, they'll be cheaper than those that you have to wire into the turbo, and run the engine until the turbo cools to a specific level.

· I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,167 Posts
If you have a stock K03, a turbo timer is way overkill. Just drive it gently for a few minutes after heavy acceleration or highway driving, and let it idle for a minute or two when you pull off the highway at a rest stop or the like.

· Registered
2,552 Posts
^^ This is what I do. Just drive gently the last mile or so and let it idle maybe 15 seconds before I shut off. If I drove it hard (extremely rare), I try to drive gently the last couple miles, making sure to stay out of boost as much as possible, then let it idle for a minute or so. Mine is stock K03 with APR 93 program just for comparison.

· What time is Matlock on?
16,591 Posts
Regardless though...having one is great. I have a manual on/off switch where it stays off until I need it......flip the switch.......don't have to drive extra miles just to cool it down.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regardless though...having one is great. I have a manual on/off switch where it stays off until I need it......flip the switch.......don't have to drive extra miles just to cool it down.
What kind of TT do yu have.. I would just like to get one sometimes I get out and check the Turbo and its reddddd crazy red hot.. just don't wanna F my Turbo up then have to waste money getting a new one.. I'm boosting at like 25 HOLDING at 21

· Registered
8,413 Posts
I have an apexi auto timer on mine. It has been on for 5 years, no problems whatsoever. At that time they didn't have any choices for lighting, mine is amber, now they have blue and red too.

Auto Timer - Electronics APEX Integration
from their website:
The Apex Auto Timer allows the vehicle to idle for a preset amount of time after the ignition key has been removed. This prevents hot oil in the engine from “coking” (solidifying) in the lines or center section of a turbo. Proper cool down is essential for a healthy engine.
The Auto Timer stands as a technological marvel. The pen shaped, compact size makes the Auto Timer one of the smallest turbo timers on the market. This allows a clean and stylish installation virtually anywhere inside the car. The unique multi angle joystick button allows easy navigation through the many feature menus.
Upgraded in every way from the previous model, the new Auto Timer can automatically determine the necessary amount of idle time. A Manual Mode allows the user to preset desired idling times from 0 sec.~10 minutes in 16 increments. By inputting O2 sensor voltage, the Timer can also display theoretical air fuel ratio. Since the Auto Timer uses the factory O2 sensor which is primarily designed for emissions, the readings may not be as accurate as facing air fuel ratio monitors, however Timer readings are very close. The Timer can also display critical data such as O2 sensor voltage and Battery Voltage. :wrench:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.