Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My car: Passat B5 1.8 20VT (Model 2000)
I installed a boost/turbo timer gauge from Daemon and I need a little help with the turbo timer installation.
There are four (4) wires coming out from the gauge's CPU:

1. Yellow (Power straight from the battery)
2. Black (Ground)
3. Orange (Ignition Coil)
4. Blue (Key)
Here is the diagram (the first page): http://www.daemongauge.com/manual/Daemon_E_BOOST.pdf

Does any one knows how to connect these wires??

(These may help a little:
1) http://g14.picoodle.com/ltd/img14/5/11/13/gregkoss/f_38_436_u3k8.jpg
2) http://g14.picoodle.com/ltd/img14/5/11/13/gregkoss/f_39_3a6_u3k8.jpg
3) http://g15.picoodle.com/ltd/img15/5/11/13/gregkoss/f_3da_f64_u3k8.jpg)

Thank you in advance (and sorry for my English..)

· Registered
204 Posts
I'm assuming from the diagram, and the instructions provided, the blue wire that goes to "key" is the remote trigger (turns on the gauge/timer module-cpu). Yellow is obvious, as is the black. The orange that says to ignition coil is probably going to be hooked up to the wire in the ignition cylinder to the "run" wire. This is just going by basic ignition wiring. Most cars have an accessory wire, run wire, and start wire, all triggered by different positions of the key in the cylinder.

I think the two wires you need are the black, and brown/red in the ignition switch to keep it running without the key. I installed my remote starter a while ago, so I don't remember off the top of my head.

You could also test probe each wire to see which have +12v when the car is running. That would be a good indication to what wires you need to connect.

A couple tips : take that wire out of the fuse socket in pic #2 and run it properly (it bugs me to see this because it is a potential short hazard) Use one of those add-a-circuit things if you need to.

Also, if you are going to have to connect two wires in the ignition to have the turbo timer work, use a relay. Power line fused going into the relay so there is no overload and chance of frying ignition components. Relays will save the turbo timer module from overload as well. It's much cheaper to replace a dead relay then replacing a whole module for the turbo timer.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.. I just saw your answer..

I'll give another try to connect the t-timer..

Also, about your tip for the wire in pic #2, if you are a mechanic or know about this things you know what is right and what is wrong..
I know it too.. but here (Greece) as we are at time of economic crisis and we count every cent we find other ways and patents to
have our job done.. haha.. :p Don't worry I have planted that wire good in there.. But thank you anyway.. :)

· Registered
204 Posts
Thank you.. I just saw your answer..

Also, about your tip for the wire in pic #2, if you are a mechanic or know about this things you know what is right and what is wrong..
I know it too.. but here (Greece) as we are at time of economic crisis and we count every cent we find other ways and patents to
have our job done.. haha.. :p Don't worry I have planted that wire good in there.. But thank you anyway.. :)
You're welcome, also, I'm not a mechanic. My friends just call me that because I've always had a strange calling to work on my cars at 2 or 3 in the morning lol

The thing about the wire is just a suggestion. One thing I find odd is that you say you're counting every cent... So what I don't understand is that you spent $100+ on a turbo timer (I'm assuming), but won't spend $2 on a simple add-a-circuit to prevent the risk (albeit small) of an electrical fire or frying components?

Not knocking you, just finding the logic here questionable...

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing I find odd is that you say you're counting every cent... So what I don't understand is that you spent $100+ on a turbo timer (I'm assuming), but won't spend $2 on a simple add-a-circuit to prevent the risk (albeit small) of an electrical fire or frying components?

Not knocking you, just finding the logic here questionable...
Haha, I just won at a magazine competition and the prize was to Chip my ECU.. So the boost gauge was "necessary" after the chipping.. So I bought from a friend a second hand gauge that is also a turbo timer.. ;)

· What time is Matlock on?
16,591 Posts
Once you cut into and peel back the wire group (black sticky wrap), get enough slack in each wire to wiretap or scotchlok each wire. That's how I did mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.