Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

361 - 380 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just bought a 2001 with virtually zero maintenance records. It's going in for a timing belt this tuesday, if they say my car has bad sludge buildup do I stand a chance at making a claim?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just bought a 2001 with virtually zero maintenance records. It's going in for a timing belt this tuesday, if they say my car has bad sludge buildup do I stand a chance at making a claim?
I would say that you don't have much chance. Pretty sure the maintenance records are key to this suit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Errrr problems!

I have a 2003 vw passat 1.8t. The light came on yesterday on my way to school. Parked it. The dealership when I gave them my vin said it was purchased on august 28th 2003 and it being august 31st my 8 year warranty did not cover my vehicle for repairs. Anything I can do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
oil

I have a 2002 1.8T Passat that I purchased new from the local dealer. Took it in for the first oil change and check up and found out that the dealer was using Quaker State 10W30 dino oil. I immediately drained the oil at home and switched to Lubrimoly 5W40 synthetic and have never gone back to the dealer again.

I change the synthetic oil every 8,000 km and use the larger filter: 4.5 litres total oil.

125,000 km so far...been to the Yukon, all over Canada, great engine!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well I just got a letter in the mail saying my sludge warranty has been extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles which ever comes first.
Since I dont drive my Passat whole lot with 4 cars and being retired I only have 69,000 miles on it I guess I am good to go for awhile.
It did kind of surprise me that this was still going on as I got a letter a couple of weeks after buying the car new in 2004 that my sludge warranty would be extended.
In my case I am not concerned as I have used synthetic castrol from the dealer since new, so I have all the receipts in place.

The car has performed well and has had no problems so far, though I have noticed the last few mornings a slight clutch shudder on take off, maybe a sign of something to come.

Al

·
Registered
28 Posts
I received my check today. $569 I didn't have the required oil change records so I got half my repair cost.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
w00t

Check came in today for the full cost of repairs, all $740 back! :thumbup:

Wooohoo! Congrats! May I ask when you filed and who you emailed? I may follow up myself.
Apologies for delay, first time revisiting thread. This is the website: https://vwoilsludgesettlement.com/

I filed in April. They sent me a notice in May saying my mechanic's statement had to be signed, was an email I printed to include in my packet. Email correspondence to clear it up was with: [email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2003 Passat 1.8T I bought used. The person before me told me that it had been cared for by VW in her town (Chico, CA.) I knew nothing about the sludge isse until recently. I have 66K on the car. On the last oil change I ran B&G products oil clearner through the engine (Toyota Dealer) as I have no VW dealer in my town. Would this be effective in removing buildup? The engine runs perfect is their anything I can do to insure I have no issues.

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
Removing buildup is not the problem, keeping it out of the oil pump screen is. If there is coked oil, it will get into the screen no matter what. If the car has had synthetic oil, it is unlikely that the oil will be coked. Hopefully the prior owner's dealer used the correct oil.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My passat just hit 241,000 miles and it runs very clean and has great compression as well. Like mentioned before, having a turbocharged car can be nice but you need to understand how it works and needs to be treated if you want it to last. Yeah, hondas run for a long time but tell that to the guy with the civic SI who tried to smoke me on the highway in my 1.8T. Oh, and I bet I was much more comfortable while doing so. I see those poor civics black smoking up a storm all of the time because of irresponsible owners. I believe this sludge problem to lie mostly in human error.

·
Registered
184 Posts
"That being said I went 256k with my Civic SI and the inside of the engine looked just as good as the day it came off the showroom floor using nothing but full synthetic."
Tell that to the guy who got smoked on the highway by my stock 1.8T in his SI. Mine has 241,000 miles and still doesn't cover the back in oil like so many abused hondas I have seen. User error adds up for any car, regardless of nationality.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Brilliant. Guess I should also know how the motherboard in this computer was designed before I turn it on. To hell with specialization and a free market society!

·
Registered
5 Posts
is their anyone who has a ecu unit for sale that works . it is needed for my 2001 vw passat 1.8 turbo it is reading codes that are incorrect i was told or is their a way to have it tested to tell if its gone bad

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am just learning about all this today as my 99 1.8t with 137XXX showed the oil light and the engine lost pressure. I had it towed to my shop immediately, but they weren't able to check it out today. From my explanation, my mechanic said it sounded like an oil sludge issue.

If that's the case, am I going to have any luck getting this covered or getting reimbursement from the settlement? I bought it used from a dealer in '06 and do not have it's records except for the documents I've kept since owning it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
123 Posts
Submitted claim on June 27th. Claim approved end of July / early August. Pending payment now. I had to call myself to track its status. The administrator has not called or sent a letter / email at any point during my claim process. Here's the number in case anyone needs it. 1-877-522-0447

·
Registered
10 Posts
got my check today, nothing in the papers about extending the warranty. we were told we were approved month ago (6 or more) they printed the checks in batches when they received the money from VW.

361 - 380 of 420 Posts