Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a question previously about my turbo but was having a difficult time describing the sound my turbo is making. Rather than the high pitch wind rush a properly functioning turbo makes, mine is now making a vibrating, screaming noise. For those of you who have flown in an airplane, the sound is similar to when the plane's flaps are extended or drawn in by the crank. It's also similar to the sound of a noisy retracting antennae. The kicker is that it only makes the screaming sound when I step on it. And yes, it does it in all gears as I found out while escaping from an A-hole driver who was bent on road rage. If not for a sound job and family relying on me the idiot would have been toast, but that's a story for another day.

Any thoughts on the turbo????

TIA

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to add that it's an '03 and has 17,800 miles on it. I have never abused it and get pissed if I don't average over 30 mpg on a tank of gas. Most of my driving is done at 60 mph on a 25 minute drive to and from work.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Hmm, I'm trying to remember what the flap noise sounds like. Piper or Cessna?

If it is a high pitch squeal around 3000rpm it could be a blown gasket at the catalytic converter/DP connection. I had that problem for the longest time and no one could figure it out.

You could have also swallowed something into the turbo inlet and bent or broken the blades. If they are bent they will make a loud howling noise. Did anyone remove your airbox top recently? Maybe at your 15K service? I'd take it into the dealer, especially if it is repeatable.

A friend had a Conquest (Chrysler, not Cessna) that swallowed a rubber gasket and it sounded like a fire truck siren. Also aircraft APUs (most of which use centrifugal compressors like a turbo) will squeal when water or deice fluid is shot down the inlet bending the blades.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
check your vacuum lines, i know that the deal once tore one of mine without replacing it

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CRD99 said:
Hmm, I'm trying to remember what the flap noise sounds like. Piper or Cessna?

If it is a high pitch squeal around 3000rpm it could be a blown gasket at the catalytic converter/DP connection. I had that problem for the longest time and no one could figure it out.

You could have also swallowed something into the turbo inlet and bent or broken the blades. If they are bent they will make a loud howling noise. Did anyone remove your airbox top recently? Maybe at your 15K service? I'd take it into the dealer, especially if it is repeatable.
I was thinking more along the lines of a 727. The only time the airbox has been opened was when I replaced the stock filter with a K&N. I keep the intake and pre-filter clean for maximum airflow.

The comment about it sounding like a siren is a good description too. It's sort of a high pitched scream with a vibration added in. Assuming it's a bent/broken blade or two, is that something that's covered under the warranty? It would be a great excuse for a K04 but my wife would divorce me then kill me.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Hmm, if you are mechanically inclined go ahead and remove the airbox along with the intake tube. You'll probably need a mirror and flashlight to look but try to look at the blades on the turbo. If any are bent or broken that is your problem. It must have swallowed something or maybe it did just break. I'd try taking it to the dealer since the turbo is covered under your bumper to bumper warranty. Oh and buy a regular paper filter before taking it in, they aren't usually too smart and will try to tell you the K&N let a big rock through.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CRD99 said:
. . . I'd try taking it to the dealer since the turbo is covered under your bumper to bumper warranty. Oh and buy a regular paper filter before taking it in, they aren't usually too smart and will try to tell you the K&N let a big rock through.
To date, I've done all of my own service. If there is something bent, there's no way they would have caught is on their service work. But do you forsee me having problems with them saying I haven't taken it to them for service. I am well documented that my work was done on time and with quality goods.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
The AC belt tensioners make a noise like this too.

Though, in your particular situation, it does sound like a turbo problem or a small boost leak vibrating some piece of the plastic and/or rubber plumbing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts