Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have read my posts about losing oil.. and more oil and more oil. Even seen the pictures in my post:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69228&highlight=

Ater much much help and input from Scuba and also some other B5ers I think it is time to replace the turbo. The turbo still kicks in for sure.. as strong as it did when I took ownership of the car about 10K ago (84,300).

While doing a TBA this afternoon (which finally got rid of the CEL.. I think or did the CEL go away cuase I started it so many times it finally cleared? :crazy: ) due to low, bouncing idle. While doing this, I popped the hood and looked at the turbo after just driving. Smoke was coming from it (not steam) and the smell was that oil smell I am getting so used to.

Going to get a turbo from one of the guys on the baord from an 02 Tip.B5 with 40K on it for about 150 bucks. Yea or Nay?

:bow: Thanks to those who help me out. I cannot put much, if any, money into diagnosing by a mechanic so ya'lls help is huge.

-Stephen.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I can't help you with any advice on the turbo, but if you change your subject line to "Anna Kournikova's Turbo Replacement..." you might get some more views. :lol:

For the time being, here's a bump!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya the turbo is .. well will be in the mail tomorrow. Should see it by Thursday. I am going to make an appointment at White VW in Greenville, SC. They have an absolutely gorgeous showroom. I am going to take my camera for sure. I say this for they must be doing something right to be the only VW dealer in the region and have such a great complex.

Quoted me the labor for turbo replacement is 320. I will need the gaskets of course replaced and maybe even hoses. So add another 100. Looks like I will get the turbo replaced for a round 600 I would guess?

I will call to schedule tomorrow AM and ask them to order the necessary parts to make this thing go smooth. I hope I get a loaner (only 19) .. maybe a Golf !?! Would be fun .. maybe they got a Toureg for a young guy like me :roll:

If not Im taking the bus to school and that is just not cool in college.

While in maybe even the cam tensioner seal will be replaced for it too is leaking. Money money money!! BLAH!

I will keep this up todate as I know a lot of members out there are AEB and/or in the high mileage where the turbo might be on the fritz; could find this info helpful.

PS try a 1050 savings. Granted the one I amgetting is used.. .I asked the service manager - out of curiosity - the price of a new turbo. 1200 bucks! They are rebuilt too! So could be more if you choose not to send the core back. Amazing.. 1200 for stock.. or 1200 and get a K04 in a GB? Pssh. Crazy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts