Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....So i'm completly new to turbo'd engines and i have a question about my b5. I have yet to install a boost gauge, which might help me understand my engine a bit better. So let's say im in 2nd gear. I will give it WOT, i will hear a ton of vacum noise and will not accelerate a considerable amount until i hit 4.5k-5k. The vacum noise will then stop it changes to a high hiss noise and the car really moves. Then of course when i release the gas pedal i'll hear the release of compressed air through the intake. Is it normal to hesitate while the vacum noise increases until it stops all together and begins to accelerate a great deal more.

Now if this is EXACTLY how a turbo is supposed to work i'm going to feel like an absolute idiot but with some friends who drive turbo's the wait until 5k to accelerate seems a bit odd..

Thanks much!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I dont know much about what the culprit could be. But if i was to have that problem id check the turbo intake hose, and possibly replace it with a aftermarket one.

I say this because the intake hose could be collapsing during high boost. But this wouldn't make sense because why would it let boost through after 4k...

Mabe its time for a new turbo? how long have you owned the car? mileage?

please provide some more details.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O god, Thats not what i like to hear! I've owned the vehicle for less then a month. Had a friend who knows a great deal about turbo's drive it...He said it was a bit different but didn't believe it was anything problematic. The car has 103.5k on the body and 54k on the engine/turbo... Would there be any other hoses to look at or would the intake be the only guess?

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
learn the search feature and relax on waiting for a response.
people have lives.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Are you hearing a hiss noise until 4-5k like escaping air? When I had my car originally, I had busted vacuum hoses. I replaced them and found the power of boost.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you hearing a hiss noise until 4-5k like escaping air? When I had my car originally, I had busted vacuum hoses. I replaced them and found the power of boost.

I don't hear a hiss noise until the vacuum noise end's and the acceleration begins.

In answer to the next question i'm not yet sure what levels of boost im getting. I'll have to install a gauge when i get back from vacation

Step-sis requested i use this pic for some reason:puke:

·
Registered
613 Posts
get that boost guage in, you might have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Does you boost guage show vaccum (numbers below 0) it would be very helpfull if it did

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright i'll see what i can do. The moment i can find a boost gauge that has the same purple/red color as my cluster i will purchase it. Also if my hose was collapsing as you said would this be the one from the filter towards the heat shield or in another location??

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alrighty i just purchased the indigo boost w/column pod for $111.00 Anyone have a suggestion as to a higher performance diverter valve to replace the stock on?

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
TT 710N DV, you can get it from your dealer. Or you can get it from Richie at autobarn for about 32 shipped to you front door.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went to autobarn and searched around for a while. Couldn't seem to find anything...Looked through the parts as well as the specific search for both VW and Audi...

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
SOmetimes finding specific parts online can be hard as not all companies put everything they carry online. Best bet is to call and ask.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i replaced the DV with the 710N and honestly Holy Shit! That was most def. the problem, the change is night and day, and i'm now scared to hit full throttle as it seems my engine should explode with power or something along the lines! Anyway thanx to Neuspeed for such a replacement and you guys for the advice!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts