Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My vw passat b5 (2000) 1.9 TDI 'turbine' stops working after it hits above 3000 rpm, so I need to switch off/on car to have power again.

I have read that vacuum hoses might be faulty, how do I find out if the vacuum houses are the problem (which one)? (I have attached some pictures)

View image: 20150501 124244
View image: 20150501 124240

Perhaps there might be any other problem, any ideas guys where to start as I have a long long trip soon, so I want to be sure I have enough power to drive this car. I also hope it won't drop less than 3000rpm.

VCDS-lite gives me - 17958 error.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to garage today, they said that turbo actuator is not moving enough as it should be. Also they said it's due by lots of carbon, so it makes vnt mechanism stuck, can that be true?

Is it possible to clean somehow without taking everything apart ?
I have drove this car about 20000km since I bought it and I had couple trips, like last summer through europe 3000km where I was speeding a lot, so a lot of carbon should be out already ?

Next week I will check with another garage to be 100% sure that is the issue.

Regards

· Registered
1,338 Posts
You can try to remove the actuator and pull/push on the rod with your hand to free it some. I haven't done it but I heard (probably read on tdiclub) other ppl doing it. You might need to spray WD40 (well, an european lubricant/cleaner/penetrating fluid) but I don't know how you can get it inside.
The one method I know to keep the vanes moving: drive the car really hard. Not sure where in Europe you are, but driving it at high speed on the highway (to get the turbo really hot) seems to work very well. Again, this is all from the forums, I didn't have problems with the vanes on any TDIs I drove.
You should check that is not the actuator itself that is moving hard.
I assume you read here: 17958/P1550/005456 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Also, keep in mind that some shops will not tell you "I found a vacuum hose that is broken" and charge you $25, they want to make some more money and they will tell you something bigger (more expensive) needs fixing. So, did you check the N75 and the vacuum hoses?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree what you say that garages will try to charge more than necessary.

I have checked vacuum hoses but they seem fine, I don't have vacuum gun to check if the hose holds the vacuum, I checked them by eye, but I could try to blow some air in hoses and check if there is any broken hose.

Also to remove actuator it's a good point.

How you would suggest to check N75 ?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed almost all 3mm vacuum hoses, but I didn't touched vacuum reservoir hose as I wasn't sure how to unplug, do I need to use some force to get out that hose from reservoir ?

Also I found a (really) small hole in inter cooler pipe (that's how it's called?)

picture here - http://www.neomoto1.webd.pl/AUCTION...o hose VW Passat B5 058145856C shop2 MOTO.jpg

I even blow some air from my mouth into that hole and I can feel that air goes through. Hole is under inter cooler pipe exactly where it touches oil filter.

Would that give me a limp mode as well ?

Btw there is a little oil in inter cooler hose as well.

When the car was on I took off vacuum hose from vacuum actuator and I can see movement not sure how many mm but it does move. Is there any way how physically I can move actuator ?

I read that n75 connector should give 12V but it only gave me about 6V when car was on any ideas?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.