Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a used turbo intake boot 058133356p which can be seen at ecs: Volkswagen Passat B5 FWD 1.8T - 058133356P - Turbo Inlet Hose - ES#277639
to replace my other one because i have an 2003 AWM engine in my 2001 1.8t and my old turbo intake didnt have the hose connector part to complete pcv system. When i went to attach the puck valve i noticed how much larger the hole is and it has a little lip (as seen on the ecs pictures) like there is some purpose to the design. I asked ECS if a regular 19mm puck valve was to go on there and they said yes. I can of course use a clamp but it seems odd to me that it would be designed a lot larger. here is my old one:

here is my new one.

Is it okay to just clamp it down really tight? or is there some recommendation of something i can put around the puck valve. cut a piece of rubber hose to go around it?

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,611 Posts
Is it okay to just clamp it down really tight? or is there some recommendation of something i can put around the puck valve. cut a piece of rubber hose to go around it?
Is it OK to do that, I don't know. But it seems you are not left with a lot of alternatives here. Try with a narrow docktape to thicken the diameter. Clamp it really good and just to be sure you can also use some black silicon around it to seal it off. Hopefully it works.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I think you should have gone with the intake hose for your original car, instead of the one for your specific engine. The later-model AWM's have the puck valve nowhere near the intake hose.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the turbo intake of my 2001 had no port for the metal pipe that comes around the crankcase near the heatshield. What goes in the hole if not a puck valve on the later AWMs then? something needs to go there and i dont know what...

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
In my '04 AWM, the puck valve is on top of the Combi at the rear of the engine, where it goes to a rubber elbow, a metal pipe along the side of the engine, another rubber elbow, and then a metal elbow into the intake hose.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Yes, that is indeed what that part of the PCV system looks like on the later AWM's. As you can see, the puck is quite distant from the intake.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
perhaps i will buy that metal intermediate piece and solve this issue. i dont know what good 2 pucks would do on the same line, but my engine was all mixed up being a crossbreed of 2 years. I will just have the 1 in the back then.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't realize that my engine was so messed up being a mixture of a 2003 engine in a 2001 car. It had 2 puck valves and i thought that was how it was supposed to be, now i know there should only be one at the back for this set up. when the rest of my parts come in, my breather system should be running correctly soon. maybe my oil leaks will stop, or slow down at least...

·
Registered
879 Posts
You need to get either all 2001 parts, or all 2003 parts. There are too many differences to mix and match the systems. Could you post photos of the entire right (passenger) side of the engine bay? That might help clarify which parts you currently have. Sounds like you mostly have 2003 parts now.

All the way from the port on the back of the valve cover, to the turbo inlet pipe, the parts are different.

Here is the early AWM's. The puck valve fits at the end of part number #15

Here is the diagram for the late AWM's

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Back-tracking a bit to answer this. In my experience when the two sizes are that far off, just clamping it usually results in a leaking connection. Wrapping layers and layers of tape to fill in the gap is failure prone. In that environment (heat and oil vapors) the adhesive on the tape gets mushy. I've had the most success by using a short section of hose to fill the gap. Something that has the correct dimensions and is rated to withstand the environment.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
agreed. i wont even risk it though. i am not using a puck valve on the turbo intake, i an using the metal intermediate piece to go on the intake as on the late AWM ETKA shows.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything is connected back up with 2003 set up. i can't start the car up to test yet cause the battery died during these weeks of sitting and it wont hold a charge. I guess i will need to do the throttle kick-down procedure when i get the battery plugged back in.

passenger side

driverside

1 - 14 of 14 Posts