Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wondering if anyone has turboed ther 2.8? I know about the supercharger, seems like as big waste of money. My friend who works on cars says he can turbo my car, and for cheap too he would do all the work for free. Just wondering if anyone has done this before and if there are any complications to it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
High compression does not favor boost, this is why the vf supercharger is running so little boost. Different heads with lower compression would probably be necessary for boost higher than 6 psi or so. I would love to see if your buddy can work one out though :thumbup:

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
it would be a software issue as well

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
if your friend has a fab shop, a ton of spare parts from turbo audis or lots of machine tools, a shitload of spare time, and you can live without your car for the two or three months it's in his shop, go ahead.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts
This guy can do it.http://www.rippmods.com/
It's a setup like the corrado..supercharger-turbocharger.
there is nothing listed on his site but you can call him to see if he can do it.
was gonna have them do my car but thought better about it.
ill just get an s4 somewhere down the line.
here is a pic ot the setup he custom fabricates for each car.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
If you're trying to spend around $5,000 for a solid 90hp and 50lbs/ft of torque the PES G2 is the only way to do it on the 2.8. But if you want to go piss away some money on a 10k twin turbo project that will have reliablity issues up the wazoo then go for it, I'm pretty sure it has been done before by someone up north with a variant if I remember correctly. But if you're set on a twin turbo swapping in the S4 2.7TT engine would cheaper and more reliable.

Also don't be discouraged by the dyno figures for the G2, I've been told by my local PES shop that you can't just look at the figures and that you have to drive a G2'd car to see whatsup. :thumbup:

8,184 Posts
For that money I saw a guy in another forum import a TDI V6 and made his TDI V6 a 6 speed AWD ride for about the same cost as doing a 2.8TT. So but a tubro V6 Des is what I would love to have...the guys in PA too

·
Registered
900 Posts
pson said:
For that money I saw a guy in another forum import a TDI V6 and made his TDI V6 a 6 speed AWD ride for about the same cost as doing a 2.8TT. So but a tubro V6 Des is what I would love to have...the guys in PA too
Anywheres near the philly area?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
2000v65speed said:
Hey just wondering if anyone has turboed ther 2.8? I know about the supercharger, seems like as big waste of money. My friend who works on cars says he can turbo my car, and for cheap too he would do all the work for free. Just wondering if anyone has done this before and if there are any complications to it.
it is very easy to fab up the piping and manifold. finding a spot for the turbos would be not to tasking. the hard part comes to software. you can use SMT6 Piggy Backwith perhaps the s4 giac chip but that isn't certain.

Money plays a big part in what can be done.

i say if you have the means....do it. and prove everyone wrong.

good luck

·
Registered
900 Posts
2000v65speed said:
Does you friend want to do perhaps a second car, with more hp? :thumbup:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do it and I'll donate the equivalent of the dyno-proven whp once all said and done!!

I KNOW you can use a lot of plumbing and mounting layout from the 2.7T.

You are gonna need some new injectors, most likely something beefier than the 2.7T stockers. All this wired up to a custom e-prom and you should be all set to go.

make sure you save "at least" $1000, just for dyno time to get the thing running spot on. On this kind of cr, a few seconds of lean condition and you can expect ugly stuff.

Another few little details that can cost a lot if overlooked or cut corners upon:
- vaccum/boost lines, make sure you get quality rubber OR hard plastic, also triple check all connections.
- good condition turbos, you don't want to be rebuilding them 5K mi down the road.
- a clutch, hahahaha.

Good luck and be patient. I did a lot go work on this, ran a lot of numbers and collected a lot of parts, but financial problem have been stacking up a lot and raise wasn't what i expected, so I decided to abort for now...

make sure you let us know step by step how it goes.

Q

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry guys was at work all day thats why i couldnt repsond, well i am deifntly interested i talked to my friend today and he was telling me he did a turbo setup this kids vr6, he addmisted it had alot of relabiltiy issue but he said mine would be easier to do cause of the layout of the engine. We talked about the 2.7t and like some one else said that .1liter makes a big differnce. I am gonna ask him to run up the part i would need and do an aprrosmix money situation see how much i will be ion the hole for , thnaks for your supposet ghuys i will get back to you tomorrow

1 - 20 of 23 Posts