Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a set of Turanza LS-Hs installed. As other people have posted, I have seen a significant drop in fuel economy.

I’m also experiencing very noticeable tread noise and rolling resistance.

For those of you who are using the same tires – do these conditions get any better over time? If not, I think these will being going back under Bridgestone’s 30 day guarantee.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The most recent tires were Blizzak snows. They had less tread noise than these. In addition to the snows, I've had Michelins, Pirellis, Dunlops, and Khumos on the car. The OE Michelins made a similar noise, but I do not remember it being as bad.

It’s not the same type of noise that you would expect to hear due bad tread wear or under inflation. It’s more of a high frequency resonance. It’s especially bad on concrete and/or course pavement.

The Pirellis, Dunlops, and Khumos were softer tires. I suspect they had better sound dampening properties.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had the Turanza LS-Hs on my '98 Passat 1.8T (205/60/15) for 62K miles and averaged about 29-30 MPG, mostly highway miles. Check the tire pressures. I kept all tires at about 34 psi. I seriously doubt that the tires are causing the drop in gas mileage. For my new tires, I went with the Falken ZE-512s which so far are truly awesome.
Kevin

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The Turanza LS-H was rated as fairly quiet by Consumer Reports. I'd check the tire pressure (around 32 psi front and rear are good starting points), and also check the alignment.

If you check the Blizzak tires, was there any uneven wear?

The Turanza LS-H had average rolling resistance, so mileage may be decreased, but should not be by more than 1-2 mpg.

Are the tires the same size from the Blizzaks to the Turanzas?

·
Registered
27,572 Posts
I had them on my sedan and they were much quieter than the Michelins. I took many long distance trips (4-6K) on them and thought they were very good tires. I lost some mpg but I went from stock 15s up to a 215/55/16.

I also ran the pressure much higher than most. Usually 36psi around town and up to 40 for trips in summer. Had perfectly even tire wear even with the car lowered. They lasted about 35K for me and I am abusive on tires. The stock Michelins were worn at 32K.

Only problem I had was the high cost. I am now running Kuhmo ASX and they are quiet, but they do not handle nearly as well as the Turanza LS-H.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t think it’s the alignment. I just had one completed and the car is tracking perfectly on the highway. Pressures are 34f / 32r. I’ve never had a vehicle leave a tire store with accurately inflated tires, so I always check immediately.

I’ve always had either 195/65-15s or 205/55-16s on the car. I’ve never observed significant changes in the gas mileage. One thought I had was that the Turanza is a relatively tall tire compared to others of the same stated size. The larger diameter could cause slightly lower, speedo and od readings which would skew the mileage calculation. The Blizzaks and Khumos I had on for the last 35k were noticeably smaller. I used to get 31-33 on the highway. Now I’m reading 28-30.

As far as the noise goes, I think part of the problem is that the older B5 Passas body…or at least mine anyway…. does not dampen road noise very well. I could always use this as an excuse to put Dynamat on the floor like I’ve always wanted to.

It seemed to me that most of the noise was coming from the right front. Last night I rotated the right side tires and the noise seems to have decreased. If it comes back, I’ll revisit the alignment issue.

There’s no doubt in my mind that these are very high quality tires. I have another 24 days to decide if these come off or not. Hopefully these issues will get better, or I will get used to them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts