Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to put 215/60/15s on my B5 variant. I've decided to go with grand touring/low performance all-season tires. I wanted a symetrical tread pattern with at least a 50k warranty, so I narrowed my search down to these two:

Bridgestone Turanza LS-H: 50k warranty, tried and true, discontinued but still available

Michelin Primacy MXV4: 60k warranty, brand new, very little testing or reviews

Should I try the Primacy MXV4s?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would go with the Turanza LS-H. We have them in our BMW (sized 225/55-16) for ~40K miles now, and they're still very quiet and have considerable tread left.

·
Registered
27,565 Posts
The replacement for the LS-H has a 70K warranty.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, yes. It's a directional tire, though. Then again, Michelin Exaltos and Nokian WRs almost made my top 2.

The Tire Rack just released these test results.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The new Michelin Primacy MXV4 did very well in our testing. I would highly recommend this tire. I personally though it was the best of the new touring tires we tested. This tire is nothing like the Energy tire which most people dont like.

Rudy

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't feel comfortable buying tires that haven't seen a lot of miles, so I bought the Turanza LS-H.

My initial response is: Damn! It's a good thing I drive sitting down, because the ride is so supple my knees buckled. Handling (dry) is amazing, tracking is straight, stopping is confidence-inspiring. And the noise--the roar of the pavement under BFG Control T/A tires has been reduced to a whisper at all speeds. I just hope this lasts.

·
Registered
27,565 Posts
I didn't feel comfortable buying tires that haven't seen a lot of miles, so I bought the Turanza LS-H.

My initial response is: Damn! It's a good thing I drive sitting down, because the ride is so supple my knees buckled. Handling (dry) is amazing, tracking is straight, stopping is confidence-inspiring. And the noise--the roar of the pavement under BFG Control T/A tires has been reduced to a whisper at all speeds. I just hope this lasts.
Just keep them rotated often and they will. They tend to feather slightly, so cross rotation will keep them in the best shape.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The new Michelin Primacy MXV4 did very well in our testing. I would highly recommend this tire. I personally though it was the best of the new touring tires we tested. This tire is nothing like the Energy tire which most people dont like.

Rudy
I just bought a set of Primacy MXV4s (not from Tirerack, local shop, when you get two flats in one day there just isn't enough time) -- anyway the guy there just was ranting and raving about them and how great they were. Normally I'd take that with a grain of salt coming from a tire salesman but I trust this guy, he's been working on our cars for a while now. He claims to run them on his car and in triple digit speed in the rain they don't slip.

Anyway, they're being installed right now.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

Rudy
the older energy,s and MXV4 sucked big time. now im running michelin exaltos hp a/s 205-60x15 tires on both passats and kids jetta in the span of almost two years time since replacement were due on all 3 vws,they are that good that i would replace with same again unless a better a/s came along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have the Turanza's and like them a lot. Don't know about the Primacy. Stock Michelin Energy's were kinda crappy. I went from 195's to 205's.

·
Registered
27,565 Posts
The Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, yes. It's a directional tire, though. Then again, Michelin Exaltos and Nokian WRs almost made my top 2.

The Tire Rack just released these test results.
I was able to confirm that the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity is not directional. It is asymetrical but can be rotated side to side. Sizes are very limited.

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
I have the Turanza's and like them a lot. Don't know about the Primacy. Stock Michelin Energy's were kinda crappy. I went from 195's to 205's.
As you can see from the Tirerack's results it was a close race between the Turanza (the incumbent) and the new leader Primacy MVX4's:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=86
Even Grander Grand Touring Tires #1Wet/Dry Primacy

My experience with the predecessor to Primacy, the MVX4's: one of the original tires mfg in 2001! HAS 85,000 miles on it with still 3-4/32's tread left!:D :thumbup:; the second oldest one being 2003 has over 50,000 miles with similar 3-4/32 tread left; and the newest pair have 35,000 with similar treads left (which I put in as second owner for the rears!). I think my results based on the roads I drive and way I drive goes contrary to most others MVX's experience.

So altho, the Michelin Primacy MVX's been on the market but 6 mos, my experience with the older MVX's on my Passat and Camry wagons as well as being able to close out a warranty claim on the latter vehicle, coupled with favorable online commentary on the Primacy's, skewd's me towards the Michelin Primacy MVX's. And it's the latest in technology with incorporation of
low rolling resistance technology.

Peace: To Each His Own:thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts