Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
No dyno run yet. No exhaust upgrade either. :sad:

I might be able to sneak in a dyno run early on Wednesday morning at ChipTorque (same as the stock run).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
New Dyno Run

Okay Kos, here's the new dyno run as promised.

As a side note, the run was not done is shootout mode (it would not have been possible to compare it to the stock run). I was told to expect at least an additional 10kW if shootout mode had been used.

NOTE: If you are wondering what happened to the AFR plot for the chipped run, I will explain. The probe came out of the exhaust pipe so the reading went super lean. The next run showed a constant AFR of 30!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Exhaust Mod

I've finally done something to the exhaust. It's only a simple resonator swap but hey, you have to start somewhere. You can see how much room the original resonator used from the picture below.

The exhaust now has a sporty sound and even my wife said that she likes it! I haven't had much time to decide if it has made any difference to the performance. I think another dyno would be the best test.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Headlights

The headlights are VW originals. It might have something to do with the Australian version of the Passat being Euro spec, so they look different to the N.A spec.

·
Registered
25 Posts
brakes

g'day.
How are you finding the EBC's. Mine have settled in nicely with the green stuff pads, and the brake dust is in the past. It stops on a dime! so good.
:) i'll keep quiet over the sheep skin... :shock:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Re: brakes

The EBC's have been great. I'm always impressed with the lack of fade and how good they are in the wet. Yeah, I know, you either like or hate the sheepskin. It was my wife's idea...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My car has finally broken the 100kW barrier! Admittedly this run was done on the ChipTorque dyno in shoot-out mode while the other runs were done in tune-up mode. I did back to back runs with the Stock then Oettinger then GIAC chips. I don't think it is fair to compare the GIAC figures as the chip was a high boost one that didn't like the dyno. All runs were done with 98RON fuel and no octane booster in the tank.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've just purchased an N75-H valve from my local Audi dealer and I have to say it was worth the AU$150 they charged me for it! It has made a definite improvement to the boost delivery and so far I haven't noticed excessive activity from the knock sensors. Stay tuned for another dyno graph...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A Neuspeed 25mm rear anti-roll bar was installed today with the help of Dave (urban1.8t). The picture below is of his car, as we installed one on each of our cars with basic hand tools. The quality and finish of the product is excellent and inspires confidence in the Neuspeed product. So far the biggest improvement I've noticed is more traction for the front inside tyre under WOT through bends and corners.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey Dude,
Youve been doing interesting stuff with your car :thumbup:
With the N75H what difference did you notice considering the Oettinger chip had a smoother delivery of power to start with compared to the GIACs?
Also :bow: to the Rear SwayBars ... just when you thought shocks and springs transformed the cars handling the swaybar improves it in another dimension (...and its got quality and rose joints compared to my Whiteline :p )

Time for some twisties :lol:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Kosmas said:
With the N75H what difference did you notice considering the Oettinger chip had a smoother delivery of power to start with compared to the GIACs?
The N75H gives an extra 2PSI in 1st and 2nd gear (don't know about 3rd and 4th yet) which is quite noticable. The car has extra torque down low (the tyres will break traction in the dry from a rolling start) but the power delivery hasn't really changed. I'm guessing if I took my car to the dyno again, the curves would be similar with higher peaks.

Kosmas said:
Also :bow: to the Rear SwayBars ... just when you thought shocks and springs transformed the cars handling the swaybar improves it in another dimension (...and its got quality and rose joints compared to my Whiteline :p )
Yeah, the rear swaybar was defintely worth doing. I'm very impressed with the Neuspeed product and I still think it was worth the extra dollars.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
RAH said:
Nice ride mate, good luck with any other mods, Rah...................... :b5: :thumbup: .
Thanks! I don't think there will be any more mods as I've got my eye on a new A4 S Line Avant as the Passat will be at the end of a 5 year lease in December. I'm actually going to start selling off the mods that can be removed easily (like the Oettinger chip, Neuspeed swaybar, N75H and Forge valves).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The Audi A4 S Line has been put on the back burner and it looks like I'll be keeping the Passat for a while longer yet. I finally bit the bullet and replaced all 8 control arms as the two upper left hand side ones had torn rubber boots. In case anyone is interested, here's what a bad control arm can look like:

I also had the LUK clutch replaced with a Sachs OE clutch kit as it wasn't releasing correctly.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Time for another mod! I bought a set of TyrolSport brake calliper pins and bushes. These replace the OE rubber bushes with solid bronze ones. It was a very easy install and the only tool I had to buy was a 7mm hex socket. The change to the brake pedal feel is noticable but I did not find it as drastic as some people have described. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the discs and pads were already upgraded. All in all a mod worth doing and I'm still surprised by the stopping power of the EBC discs and pads. Not bad for something that was cheaper than the OE replacements!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Looks like a bit of a monologue from me lately. Oh well, I'll ramble on anyway...

I finally installed the VDO boost gauge that was given to me by a fellow Vortexer. Thanks Jim! I also replaced the 15" Adelaide wheels with a set of used 16" Trapezoid (Audi A4) wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE040 tyre's which have about 15,000km of tread. Thanks Dave! The wheel/tyre combination is heavier than the previous setup but there is more grip and less noise.

I decided to replace the front engine snub mount with an APR SM100002 mount. I can't say I'm really happy with my decision. I've tried adjusting the housing around the mount but I continue to feel varying amounts of vibration. I'm going to leave it alone for a month and see if it improves.

On a brighter note, I was given a Forge DVR to test. This is the Forge "race valve" that uses a diaphragm instead of a piston. I have been pleasantly surprised with how quick this valve responds.

Next mod/repair will be a set of HD tie rod ends and some updated sway bar links. Hopefully the front end noises will be exorcised once and for all!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
APR "snub mount" is out, a new OE "rubber stop" is back in. If anyone in Oz wants a slightly used APR "snub mount" for only AU$45 plus shipping, let me know. I'm also thinking about taking out the boost guage and pod. Anyone interested in a used boost gauge column pod?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts