Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just purchased my 03 Passat GLS with 101k. I want to do a complete tuneup and would like to know what parts and items I need to replace. It just turned to 101K, dealer replaced timing belt, cam/crank seals, water pump and both L/R axles. I don't think a full tuneup has been done on my car, it hesitates when accelerating from a stop, but really kicks in at about 2k. Hope that its just tuneup stuff, I'm not real literate in car repair but have a guy that works on VW's to work on my car. He just put new rotors and pads all the way around and did a superb job. He stated during the brake job that I need to do a tuneup, as he drove the car to test the brakes.

Thanks !!

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,611 Posts
There's no such thing as tune up in modern cars. Some of things you perhaps need to do are:

1) replace spark plugs (use NGK)
2) Clean the Throttle body
3) Replace the air filter (K&N washable!)
4) Replace fuel filter
5) Use injector cleaner in the tank (twice)
6) Service/clean the PCV tubes and valves
7) Do a coolant flush
8) Clean the MAF sensor
9) Replace both O2 sensors
10) ... ???

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Other than catching up on the things listed in the manual that have not been done on time (the air filter (not a pointless K&N) and plugs is part of this), there's not really anything specific you need to do, but there are a couple things that might be helpful.

You can cut the fuel filter and the rear O2 sensor from Emry's list. The fuel filter only gets clogged if you have bad gas, and the rear O2 sensor does not effect the running of the car.

The coolant should have been done with the t-belt /wp. Cleaning the throttle body and PCV aren't a bad idea. The plugs, brake fluid, and air filter come under "catching up on maintenance." Probably also helpful would be new transmission fluid.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
I'd recommend a couple of changes to that regime:

- Not a believer in the K&N oil filters. I recommend a conventional disposable paper filter.
- Leave the rear O2 sensor alone, unless it's showing an error. It doesn't affect the operation of the car, it just monitors the CAT.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great information, yeah I wanted to get the plugs, air filters, and TB and MAF cleaning done asap. So the coils (I guess spark plug wires) don't need to be replaced ? ? just the plugs? , and I read that NKG plugs are the best. All fluids flush will be next after the tune. This car was well maintained as I am the 3rd owner according to car fax, but the second owner I am guessing kinda let things go as timing belt water pump and axles had to be replaced at 100k but I am confident that after those repairs and the new brakes I put on that it's a matter of just getting the regular maintenance done now. Thanks for all the info...

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
Your 1.8T doesn't have spark plug wires. The coils get replaced when and if they fail, they're not a maintenance item. Your engine is very fussy about plugs; you need to use the factory recommend brand and model - probably NGK PFR6Q.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay now for a different subject and maybe I should post some where else but I want to do a HID headlamp upgrade. I understand that I need to remove plug 173 but I don't know where to start to choose the HID lights for my VW?? and also the Euro switch do I need this ??

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
That's actually relay 173. A euroswitch is kind of fun, but you don't need it. All it does is let you turn on the parking lights separate from the headlights, and has a position for rear fog lights, which you don't have. Also note that most "euro" switches are cheap Chinese knockoffs, and will cause more trouble than they're worth.

HID kits are a bit of a can of worms. Since they're not DOT approved, big reputable companies don't offer them, and you're kind of at the mercy of smaller outfits that use components of sometimes questionable quality. Look for a recommendation here rather than believing some sellers claims on eBay. Now, a conventional headlight, even the projectors on your 2003, aren't really designed for HID; the beam pattern won't be quite right. You should really change the headlights as well, BUT (again) most aftermarket headlights are junk.

Still, some users do conversions and many like the results. What I'm trying to tell you is it's not simple, and your results may vary.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
All the advice you have received is right on point and from some of the most knowledgeable members on the board. I will have to say the term "tune up" went out with points and condensers. Now that engines are managed by a computer and various sensors there is no such thing as a tune up. All it is now is a spark plug change, some injector cleaner in the tank and a way for mechanics to separate money from their customers wallets.

I would also say no on the K&N type air filter. If over oiled the oil can affect the MAF and cause more problems than the filter is worth.

One item I would add to your list of maintenance items is a power steering fluid flush. Just be certain to use the correct type of fluid. It's helps to keep the seals in the steering rack in good condition.

No need to worry about a coolant flush if the dealer just did a timing belt service they did a flush.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been thinking that if I do an HID upgrade I would probably want to go with the W8 lights. I have researched some really good lights by Phillips and I think I will start with these and see how I like them, just want to verify on the low beams the bulb type is (H7) correct? ,X-tremeVision Automotive Headlight 9003XVS2 | Philips
I will see if NAPA has those NKG plugs, I want to use OEM parts on my car as much as possible. Thanks for all of the great information.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts