Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...Had a new TT catback exhaust with downpipe installed at Shine Racing yesterday. Sounded pretty cool when I left but now its getting on my nerves... Its a lot louder then I thought it would be. Under 2500 rpm its fine but as soon as I hit 2500 all hell breaks loose and it gets REALLY LOUD. Is this because its new or will it always sound like this. My girlfriend told me tonight that it was starting to give her a headache. I play my music loud and with a lot of BASS and she has never complained, so this is not a good situation. :roll:

Has anyone else experienced this.... I'm thinking of possibly replacing the muffler with something quieter. I here the supersprint exhaust is quieter. I don't know what to do.... :(

·
Registered
446 Posts
maybe a brullen or remus muffler would quiet things down, or maybe have another section of resonator put in, like a glass-pack...that should do it...

·
Registered
292 Posts
I installed my TT exhaust this summer during the blackout. As soon as I completed it, I drove it through the Woodward Dream Cruise pre-drive festivities on a Friday night. It was too loud for me after after 2- 25 mile drives, my ears were actually ringing. That Borla muffler just doesn't do much.

By Saturday afternoon I had a muffler shop reinstall my stock muffler to the rest of the TT system. The sound is much better but I can't help but think this is robbing me of horsepower.

I have considered putting the Borla back on and reducing the outlet diameter from ~2.5" to 1.5" with a removable baffle to try to gain back some of the power I gave up when I made this modification.

Good luck and please let us (me) know what you do. I think there is probably a happy medium between the stock muffler and the Borla muffler that sounds good and looks good.

p.s. The non-hidden tips are much quieter because they stick out past the bumper and eliminate a huge amount of reverb that occurs when the exhaust noise is contained under the body. If you have the hidden tips, consider trying a longer tip (even a temporary pipe to hear what it sounds like). It helps but it was still too loud for me.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I dont have this problem for some reason, anyone with tips sticking out have this problem, that would be the question.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a different exhaust on my :b5: but I do have a TT on my A1 and have had others from TT. You would probably do best by buying a flowmaster muffler. If your using your stock, you're sure robbing HP from your investment. I've learned to just order them from TT with the flowmaster. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
i always hear this, people either say its so loud i get a headache, or it sounds just right. question to those who think its too loud: what tips do you have? and: have you ever driven a mustang GT with no cats and flowmaster exhaust? if its louder than that, i doubt it.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I agree with the comments regarding tips. Try the exposed tip before you switch mufflers. When I bought mine direct from TT they made a point of asking about which tip I wanted for this exact reason, Shine should work with you. I've never had anyone complain about mine in 2+ years.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
well i was planning on getting the TT exhaust , but dam that sucks that its loud :sad:
do you guys know if the Supersprint one is quieter :???:

·
Registered
882 Posts
I had my TT exhaust and DP installed over 2 years ago. Driving home that day with the back seats down I was nearly in tears. OMG, what did I do? Give it time, the tone settles down after a while. I love my TT now.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MikeVW said:
I had my TT exhaust and DP installed over 2 years ago. Driving home that day with the back seats down I was nearly in tears. OMG, what did I do? Give it time, the tone settles down after a while. I love my TT now.
My buddy said the same thing. I noticed that its only really loud those first couple of seconds when you begin to accelerate. After that it calms down. What really annoyed me was that I pulled up next to one of the neighborhood Honda's last night and I was just as loud as he was.. :( But I must say the car pulls really nice now. I finally got to open it up this morning on the highway and I must say it was awesome. I'll just give it some time I guess.

BTW... I have the exposed tip not the one that faces down. I'm having my Votex rear valence w/diffuser and my 3" dual square tip installed this weekend. I'll post some pictures if I get some time..

·
Registered
882 Posts
Nice. I have the dual exposed tips. We may be as loud as some of the Honda's but it's a different tone. I might switch out out my DP. I have the original they came out with which is for a manual but I have a tip. Are you chipped?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MikeVW said:
Nice. I have the dual exposed tips. We may be as loud as some of the Honda's but it's a different tone. I might switch out out my DP. I have the original they came out with which is for a manual but I have a tip. Are you chipped?
Yeah I have both GIAC chips installed and a Forge DV. Turbo spoils up nicely now. If they only had reliable programming for a larger turbo kit I would be all set!! :cry:

TT makes a dual exhaust tip that has some sort of sound dampener (venturis) in it.$139
http://techtonicstuning.com/images/parts/254.385V.jpg

I almost bought it but I found another tip for half the cost. $65
http://www.hedman.com/images/product/17117.jpg

Btw... I proceeded to blow the Honda away.... :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts