Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first leak is for my power steering fluid, and it doesn't seem to be the reservoir. I see a radiator or something at that part of the car with a drop or two of fluid off of it. Does that leak often? What part is it?

I have a coolant leak as well. I don't know where everything is on this car, but it sounds like it could be something like the oil cooler seal--there are a few threads on this board about that quitting.

Here's a horrible MS-Paint diagram where the leaks reside.

The car is parked on an upward incline, so the leak sources are probably a little up from center. Maybe a 15 degree gradient if you're curious.

It doesn't seem to be the heater core. Heat is fine, there's no leak in the passenger compartment, and the leak itself seems a little to far into the center of the car for the core.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
There is a cooling coil for the power steering right about where you are showing the leak. The rubber hoses eventually become loose. Hose clamps should take care of it. DO NOT run this system low. You will eat up the pump. I did.

As far as the coolant leak, there are lots of potential spots. Look for dried pink crystaline stuff.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming since I've had this car, it's had the wrong coolant in it; should I look for orange or green cystals instead?

It looks like the coolant leak is around a big, concave area around the front center of the car.

I've been checking the fluid and keeping it filled as best I can. I'll see if I can clamp the steering fluid hoses down there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had a chance to try the tracer kit, but I had the car jacked up today in order to change out the clamps on the power steering fluid lines that seem to be causing that leak. It is too early to tell if that took care of it. I noticed that the lines there were very oily, and nothing above it seemed to be dripping. So I have changed out the clamps.

As for the coolant leak, the leak is probably at the very top of the red puddle in my diagram. It looks like the leak is just a little bit rearward from my front axle, perhaps around the rearward most part of the front tires. The puddle is a little right of center.

I can't really tell where it's coming from, but I do see a bit of coolant going up inside the car. I don't know what part I was looking at, but I'd guess the coolant pump from the manual.

Suggestions now?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The coolant leak is probably coming from a plastic flange at the back of the cylinder head. It is a part that commonly fails. Do a search for coolant flange.

Also, power steering leaks from the hoses are common as well. Hose clamps mainly fix them. I haven't even bothered reclamping mine. I just keep the fluid levels up.

-Mark

·
Registered
530 Posts
mghunt said:
The coolant leak is probably coming from a plastic flange at the back of the cylinder head. It is a part that commonly fails. Do a search for coolant flange.

Also, power steering leaks from the hoses are common as well. Hose clamps mainly fix them. I haven't even bothered reclamping mine. I just keep the fluid levels up.

-Mark
I have been sorta doing the same thing but that sh*t makes a mess under my car and all down the hose that it is leaking from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts