Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was running car to get it warm... smoke... yeah probably from the oil left over from the original leaky head gaskets. I can’t see any further leaks. But back to the coolant. The engine is hot - it’s the first time I let it idle so long and it seems very hot. But the heater core hoses were still cold and so I wasn’t getting bubbles from the bleeder hole. After stopping, the heater core hoses are finally hot, so I guess the thermostat finally opened? Anyway, any tips on this please help! I’ll start the engine again and see if the now hot engine spits out some air... it’s normal to get hot enough to see old oil burning off, right? The rad hoses also finally feel hot.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow.. I’m just seeing air.. no bubbles... how long should this go before I see a fountain of coolant come out? ... WHOA! Never mind... be right back... had to add at least a litre of coolant mix. Yay! Done!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, so question. Do I need to bleed the air a second time after a certain period of time to ensure any further trapped bubbles make their way out?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I’m just following video tutorials.. but hmmm should I have done this Engine off?!? lol This is a 2004 ATQ V6

·
Registered
27,093 Posts
Yes, it's easier to bleed them with the engine off. Just raise the coolant tank above the heater core lines (unplug electrical connector) and then slide the heater hose back.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Rob, I feel a bit bad because things that should be so easy seem not to be for your car. For bleeding the air from the coolant system, the engine should be OFF. Next, the air needs to be let out from the hard-pipe bleeder screw(s). Finally, air leaves at the heater hose vent hole, with the reservoir lifted up high as you can get it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any pictures of the rear and front hard pipe bleeder screws don’t come up anymore in any of the old forum posts. Does anyone have these? I just need to know where to find them

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rob, I feel a bit bad because things that should be so easy seem not to be for your car. For bleeding the air from the coolant system, the engine should be OFF. Next, the air needs to be let out from the hard-pipe bleeder screw(s). Finally, air leaves at the heater hose vent hole, with the reservoir lifted up high as you can get it.
Don’t be sorry. I’m just an idiot for reading up of stuff and then not doing the things I read...

·
Registered
280 Posts
"Locate coolant bleeder screw on crossover pipe, just under coolant expansion tank. Loosen screw. You may have to move coolant expansion tank off to the side. On some models you will not have to locate this bleeder screw as there is a coolant hose that will allow the system to be burped directly into the coolant expansion tank. "

This one I never found - too much stuff in the way. I found it later while doing something else and painted it red for the next time I need to locate it.
"Locate and loosen an additional bleeder screw on the front coolant pipe, next to the driver side head. "

These are both 5mm.

...these photos and instructions came from Blauparts....

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Just remember to forget starting the engine; it is actually counter-productive to getting the air purged. Second, there is no benefit to having the coolant hot. And don't run the heater thinking that helps; it doesn't.

·
Registered
27,093 Posts
The bleeders strip easily. Make sure the bleeder is clean, and that the allen key fits fully in it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
All done. The front one was easy to find. The rear one, once found, couldn’t be accessed until I moved back the valve cover breather valve (1) and then use a ratchet extension with a 5mm Allen driver after using PB blaster on it (2). I used the penetration oil as the front one wanted to strip on me until I used it and let it stew in that for 15 min. For what I could see, only a marginal amount of air bubbles came out of those two bleeder valve screws, compared to the amount from the heater core hose, but I know for an engine, that’s important to do. I also redid the hose bleeder and still a bit more came out again. Any video or tutorial on this proves that you can lose engine efficiency if this isn’t done right.

Thanks so much everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts