Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to get clear AM on the radio, i know this is related to stereo stuff but i'm not asking how to fix. I'm just trying to gauge if its worth killing my self or is it the norm. I know more of us hit the GD that the other fourms!
:lol:

·
Registered
716 Posts
My am is comparable to any other car I've been in for the past 10 years. Not "100% clear", but acceptable on local stations, somewhat scratchy on Chicago stations about 100 miles distant, but in storms pretty bad... FYI, I have a short antenna and notice very little difference from stock.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
What is AM? :wink:
I've got a '99 with an open antenna circuit. I'm lucky to get any FM stations.

·
Banned
373 Posts
20vvillian said:
I have yet to get clear AM on the radio, i know this is related to stereo stuff but i'm not asking how to fix. I'm just trying to gauge if its worth killing my self or is it the norm. I know more of us hit the GD that the other fourms!
:lol:
It was good enough to get CBS 880 and 1010 WINs to get around the NY area when I lived there. Nothing like 'Traffic on the 8s' to avoid get stuck up there!!!

Joe

·
Registered
436 Posts
Only AM station I get clearly is 1030 WBZ, its from boston but my mothers camry gets clear reception about 75 miles farther north than I do. Why every other car has diversity antennas and we have the ugly ass whips which suck I dont know. I mean there are cars that cost 10-15k less with better setups.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
By its very nature, AM radio is not that clear. Having said that, I can listen to KYW in Philadelphia from here in Pittsburgh, after sunset - it's not super reception, but it's definitely clear enough to catch the weather. I'd guess that's about 300 miles away.

Local stations are as good as any other AM car radio I've had in the last 20 years.

This is on a Monsoon in a 2003 variant.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
AM really bad, FM so-so. I do a lot of driving and I want traffic, weather, news/sports (AM doesn't require a re-tune every 50 miles). FM has become pointless since they are paid to only play 3 songs over and over.

I remember 30 years ago being able to hear Chicago AM stations as far east as Harrisburg PA and New York AM stations as far west as Indiana on a cheap-ass Delco AM -only radio. SO why bother teasing us with this radio I can barely hear 10.2 gigawatt NY AM stations when I'm at the Vince Lombardi service area on the NJTP (i.e. only 5 miles away)?? They could have cheaped-out even more by just forgetting the radio entirely I'd be less disappointed. :thumbdow:

·
Registered
510 Posts
AM works fine on my 2003 Monsoon; just like it's supposed to. AM has a bandwidth of only about 10 kHz, while FM has an operational bandwidth of about 106 kHz, which explains the difference in audio quality.

By its nature, AM is very susceptible to both atmospheric and man-made noise along with interference, even when signals are strong, while FM is not. I've found the AM receiver in the factory head to be about as good as any other car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.