Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been away for the past month and drove my passat for the first time today.
Keep getting an alarm on the display "bootlid open", it wont close and the problem appears to be electrical (not mechanical with the latch).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
You are right. There is a small sensor thing in the trunk latch mechanism which acts up sometimes. There were a couple of threads in the forum to deal with that. Can't remember if it was to fix that, upgrade that or to disable that.
Most electrical sensors and stuff on the Passat act up especially in cold weather. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:crazy: Any idea where that electrical sensor is located? :???: I'd guess that if I could get at it, take it apart and clean it up, it'd probably work :???: :???:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Had a similar problem on the company car (2000 TDI, uk spec) & the only solution was to replace the whole lock mechanism as the electrical sensor is located inside the lock body. This did turn out to be a rather expensive problem :(

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Bootlid Open?
My car says: Luggage Compartment Open...

How many other variations of this are there?
Anyone else have something like: Your Ass End Is Wide Open!
Just kidding...

Jimmy :)
(sorry to hijhack your thread).

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
when you close the trunk, does the latch catch and close the trunk, or does it stay open? When you pull the trunk latch release in the car, do you hear the mechanism functioning? (If it stays open and it you can hear the latch release open, but not locking afterwards), then it's simply the trunk latch that's broken.

Appx. 30 dollars from the dealer and about 30 dollars (1/2hr) worth of labor.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
well, if the circuit is broken or something, maybe you could tie the wires together, so as to simulate the sensor being closed? maybe someone with a better electrical knowledge can comment on this.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
If it doesn't latch, you'll have to remove and disassemble the latching mechanism. This happened on mine, there's a small plastic tab that retains a spring that causes the latch to ride over a rocker and stay in the unlocked or locked position - the tab broke off my latch. You could buy a new latch, but a couple dabs of loctite will also work. At least it has for me for ~4 years...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Given how much I despise :puke: :mad: doing any business with any dealer ( at least in Massachusetts) any ideas on where I might buy the latch on line? :???:
I can't imagine that it would be too hard to replace.
thanks,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.