Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting yesterday, my trunk will no longer open. The solenoid (or motor) makes the normal noise when using the key, glovebox button, or remote but the trunk won't "pop" open. The handle under the license plate doesn't do anything either.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong? And how do I fix it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My hatch did the same thing on our variant just after the dealer replaced the latching mechanism. I ended up crawling inside, trying to figure out how to open the hatch from the inside, then, once it was open, I figured out the cable from the key slot/latching mechanism to the latch had come loose. Easy fix once it was open (probably harder in your case to get the trunk open than my hatch!).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any advice on how to get the trunk open? Do I crawl in through the back seats with a flashlight, remove the inner trunklid cover, and look for a cable that has become detached?

Thanks again for the responses!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couldn't figure out how to get the trunk open so I brought it to a shop. costed me $100 to get the trunk open and latch fixed. Wouldn't say what the problem was nor how to fix it.

In case it happens again, how do I get the trunk open to fix it without having to schedule an appointment and fork out another $100. I'm worried that it'll happen again. :sad:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Your best bet is to pop the trunk open, take off the inside trim and figure out how it works before it happens again (I've had this happen on two vehicles - on our old Mk III Jetta, I had to climb in the trunk and figure out how to take the trim off and how to open the trunk while laying on my back using a flashlight). On our variant, you could pull the trim apart then reach way down from the top to the latch to pull it open with your fingers, in your trunk it will much more disorienting from the inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.