Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
get it open?

I have a broken latch on my 2001 B5.5 Passat. The latch was broken before and needed replaced. Before you could open the trunk if it was closed, it wouldn't lock. Now I tinkered with it and the latch is stuck shut with the trunk closed.

Is there any way I can open the trunk or release the latch with the trunk locked shut? I wanted to replace the latch but without the trunk open, this is not possible. Bently only tells how to remove the latch when the trunk is open and I didn't get anything that I could use.

Anyone with technical know how to help a B5.5'er out?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Try putting the back seat down, and go in that way. I'm not sure if the handle inside the trunk works on the same latch or not.

8,184 Posts
Ok lets get everyone on the same page. The lock was broken and wouldn't stay shut...we toke the lock off and looked to see if we could fix it or need the new part. well when we put it together it stayed shut which it was always open before, so now its always shut. its the lock itself so no key or latch will make the lock unlock if its stuck locked. So what could we do? The trunk liner to come off would need to have the trunk open to get to the screws and pop the liner out and around that trunk latch. If this is unclear (which I am at work and can't spend alot of time on -line) think of the hood latch problem that rusty had. the lock itself is broken and off track so it ether always open or always locked...how can we get to the locking part with out trashing the car??

8,184 Posts
I have a 2001 B5.5 I haven't found a trunk release handle inside yet.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to try to release the trunk liner and try to get the latch to release that way. We will see.

The latch won't help its that spring we push over to the side so it would lock and not keep popping open on you. As for the liner...well we had to pull it out and around the clips which in locked down because of the lock. At this point we may have to cut the liner to get to the lock itself

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem with my 2000. How did you solve this?

I'm having the exact same problem with my 2000 - I had the trunk latch replaced about 1.5 yrs ago when it broke when the trunk was open. Now, it's broken and the trunk is shut. I only have a pass-thru in the back seat (no fold-down seats....), and the key does not work. The latch motor runs when I use the opener, but the trunk doesn't, well, open. And no emergency release in the trunk of any sort (or on my sister's 2001).

I took the rear seats out (at the suggestion of a local dealer) only to find solid sheetmetal behind the backrest. I had a locksmith look at it, no help, said may have to cut a hole through the decklid (!).

How did you get this resolved?

·
Registered
537 Posts
My seats folded so mine was easy.

You could try to push down on the trunk as you turn the key or hit the switch...if you hear the actuator it shoud be working...

You could also try to pull up on it while turning the key or hitting the switch.

I would cut through the sheet metal behind the seats before I cut through the trunk lid. In the words of Mencia "That is just DEE DEE DEE"

As a side note, mine was a 99 and now I have a 00, so I will look closer to see if I can figure something out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply, igota. I've tried everything - pulling up, pushing down, the old "Fonzie" fist-bump, inside release, fob release, key, etc. I'm definitely thinking I'd rather have a hole in the metal seatback than the decklid.

Also happy to see correct usage of "DEE DEE DEE", not something like "DOO DOO DOO" or DUH DUH DUH" !! Gotta love Carlos.

Thinking I'm gonna end up at the mercy of the dealer here.....I'll try the body shop first, then the service department. Wish me luck and thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
got the latch fixed - < $90

I finally found a VW dealer (body shop, not service) who tackled this. I got them to commit to no more than 2 hours labor ($88) and set them loose. They actually spent 4 hours, or at least said they did, and got it open from the inside, through the little trunk pass-thru.

Turns out the linkage had become disconnected. I am missing some plastic bits from the trim inside the trunk, but it actually will make it easier to get at next time. Please God, don't let there be a next time. Think I'm going to try and rig my own emergency release cable, just in case.

All in all, I'm happy with the cost, but.....what an ordeal. I see a trade in my future. Maybe a good used Acura????

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Turns out the linkage had become disconnected. I am missing some plastic bits from the trim inside the trunk, but it actually will make it easier to get at next time. Please God, don't let there be a next time. Think I'm going to try and rig my own emergency release cable, just in case.
That wasn't my case. Problem is that the latch hook (metal clip in part of the cable at the end that connects to the latch) broke. This is a repair that I think is best taken care of by the dealer. I spent $220 at three rivers VW. They generally come in at the upper end of whatever they quote you, (they said $100 to $200 to me and it was over $200). zif you can find an indy to take care of this it may save you.

2,551 Posts
They generally come in at the upper end of whatever they quote you, (they said $100 to $200 to me and it was over $200). zif you can find an indy to take care of this it may save you.
I would have imagined this would be the case, but so far, in two experiences, each at different dealerships (one Ford, the other VW), the quote given by the service advisor was way higher than what was billed by the tech.

In the Ford's case, probably by half, and in the VW case, by about a quarter.

Underpromise, overdeliver. Always the way to make a happy customer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts