Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read in a magazine that VW has issued TSB 55-05-02 for a revised trunk hinge assembly on our cars. Anyone know what this is about?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Snippet of text from the TSB

Subject: Rear Lid, Hinge(s), Binding
Model(s): Jetta 1999-2005, Passat Sedan 1997-2005
Group: 55
Number: 05-02
Date: Jun 10, 2005

Condition:
Rear lid hinge(s) binding, require high effort to open or close the rear lid.

Production:
Improved hinges can be identified by Part No: stamped on hinge mounting surface. Old version hinges: have suffix “A” New hinges have suffix “B”.

Service:
Install both left and right hinges: Part No: 3B5 827 301B Left side 3B5 827 302B Right side

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
scotty_passat said:
the hinges get crappy making it hard to open the trunk. I had it done on my 2004.5 already under warranty, new hinges are great!
I assume this is the problem addressed by the TSB. Over the last year or so on my 2000, I have to physically push the lid to it full upright position. I have banged my head several times getting my golf clubs from the trunk forgetting to open it completely. Same with closing, it used to close by letting it go from about halfway down. Now I have to push it closed. I have WD40ed it to death to no avail. With only 2k on my extended warranty, I better take it in.

·
Registered
108 Posts
the damn hinges are expensive too, even before painting them, dealer told me about $75 per side. i try to keep them greased but it doesnt help much. wish i was under warranty!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
kenblasko said:
I assume this is the problem addressed by the TSB. Over the last year or so on my 2000, I have to physically push the lid to it full upright position. I have banged my head several times getting my golf clubs from the trunk forgetting to open it completely. Same with closing, it used to close by letting it go from about halfway down. Now I have to push it closed. I have WD40ed it to death to no avail. With only 2k on my extended warranty, I better take it in.
yep! it's super-smooth now.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wait. Do you have to still be under warranty in order to get the TSB work done? If so, that sucks. My trunk lid has been pretty stiff since I bought the car used last year. I just thought it was normal, though, because my 99' Jetta was the same way (which is also included in the TSB).

·
Registered
108 Posts
julyski said:
Wait. Do you have to still be under warranty in order to get the TSB work done? If so, that sucks. My trunk lid has been pretty stiff since I bought the car used last year. I just thought it was normal, though, because my 99' Jetta was the same way (which is also included in the TSB).
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm under the impression that the only TSBs that are fully covered on cars out of warranty are safety recalls. It seems like there are plenty of TSB's out that you have to pay for if you're out of warranty - sucks to be us doesn't it? (not original owner, pretty sure i'm totally out.)

I'f i'm wrong about this please tell me so i can drive over to the dealer RIGHT NOW.

·
Registered
108 Posts
a vw dealer ... being nice ... AND charitable?? :hmmm:

i'll give it a shot. but the dealer here is a chevy/vw spot and i think they entertain the chevy crowd a helluva lot more than us. gotta love that vw customer service...bastards.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just called Sunnyvale VW service department and Dennis said: "A TSB doesn't guarantee that it'll be replaced. We'll have to inspect the car first."

I'll let Dennis look at mine today at 3:30pm.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
goes something like this:
TSB are to assist the mechanic in solving problems. It is not a recall.
Recalls are mandatory safety related issues repaired for free.
Customer satisfaction campaigns (eg. sludge fix) help avoid class action suits.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
The service writer needs to see (feel) your hinges before they are allowed to order the new hinges. You are also required to sign off that your hinges are crap. Otherwise VW thinks the service guy might be making it up. :crazy:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Maybe someone will chime in and let me know if my problem is related. I have a 2000 sedan and when it's cold I can't pop my trunk from the door, walk back and open it, because it locks right back. Same happens if I do from key as walking to the car. BUT if someone is standing right there as I pop from door to pull up it will open and if I hit key as standing there to pull up it opens but I have about a 1-2 second window before it locks back. Make sense?

Also appears hard to open and close as I am getting resistance, BUT I have unhooked both trunk shocks and the trunk appears to open and close freely with little or no resistance? (Damn our sedan trunk lids are HEAVY!! I think there's solid iron in there lol)

So given this would you still say it's probably my hinges or probably more a shock or latch issue?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I have a 2000 and also had that problem where the trunk latches back after opening very quickly but its very infrequent. I also have quite a bit of resistance in the trunk lid and when the struts are disconnected, it moved fairly freely. But as I remember from a few years ago, my truck lid moved very freely with the struts in place. I called the service advisor and indicated that the trunk lid not opening / closing as freely as it did a few years ago. He indicated that the degree of binding does not matter, if its binding a little or a lot, the TSB applies. However, he was not sure whether it would be covered by my extended warranty. He will check and call back today. I'll dig it out and read it again just in case he says no.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I'm calling my local dealership to see if they could fix it for free eventhough I'm out of warranty. I have a 2001.5 and it has been like this for years -- I thought it was simply something you could adjust or lubricate.
My trunk is so bad that sometimes I don't know if my trunk is open or closed. The trunk lid only pops up barely an 1/8" when I press the release button, closing it only requires you to pull just a third of the way down until the weight of it causes it to slam shut with no effort at all (particularily dangerous when you don't want it to shut).

If our dealerships refuses to honor this TSB for free, we should all file a complaint to the NHTSA (www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov), hoping to force VW to issue a recall.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts