Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched the 60 Minutes segment about how Trump's team used Facebook to win the election. The November 2016 surprise result was not just for most of America, but also for most of Facebook employees - they collectively didn't think the Republicans had enough tech savvy people to utilise their social media so effectively.

The targeted Facebook ads, bombarded to specific small targets, so small were these targets that normally the Republicans would never have been bothered to approach them - until social media made it all so inexpensive. The Democrats were offered the expertise of Facebook staff to gain this advantage, but they turned it down! Biggest mistake ever!

My question to you: do you feel that Social Media's information about its members should be used for targeted ads of any type? not just sending you ads for VWAG products but also deciding what type of ad (content/colour/font/message/issue) will get you to stop, read, react, donate to a political party?

I have enough of a spooky feeling when I see Google sending me ads based on my search history, their grasp of my interests goes far deeper than I would like to admit - based on the people they employ and the research they engage.

What's your view?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think FB or Russia or any other social media factor helped Trump win. I think it is the fact that most of America proper--meaning the entire country and not the concentrated liberal metro areas--realized that he was far better than The Beast as President. Even I get "suggested for you" FB groups ads like "We Love Hillary" and "Democratic Party" that I KNOW I have absolutely no interest in. And I do not follow or tag ANYONE, nor do I have any FB friends. I do belong to a number of car and buy, sell, trade groups and that is about it...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts