Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use one of those yard services where they come spray your yard on a regular basis? How well does it work, and how much do you pay (if you don' t mind telling me). Thanks.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I started using them 2 summers ago. The results have been tremendous. Lawn is green, no weeds, but grows like bunnies reproducing... I have.95 acres, and pay $85.00 per application, which I have done 5 times per year. This past fall they tried to push thatching, etc. and became very annoying. I told them if they wanted to keep my "normal business", they better not contact me again for new services.

I would give them a positive review, but I probably will look to cut back to 3 applications soon, as I think the 5 are now overkill as my weeds are gone.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pittsburgh... I'm really thinking about it now because I never seem to get it right.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
We had TruGreen coming for about a year. They did a great job at our previous house. However....

Our back yard had beautiful grass until suddenly it was overtaken by wild bermuda. Game over. I am not sure how much to blame them since this stuff is everywhere, but still.... Why should I pay them to fertilize this stuff? The previous owner did not use TruGreen and the grass was great until they came.

And last July, about 1 week after they sprayed our bushes and trees with some sort of mold/fungus stuff, the leaves on the big maple in the front suddenly start turning grey and falling off. The poor tree was nearly bare before fall. There are probably hundreds of maples in the surrounding neighborhood, and ours is the only one with "leaf spot" as they diagnosed when I called them back to show what happened.

Yeah, buddy, and you have "stupid head"...

We cancelled them, and things got worse. The called continuously for weeks begging to come back.

So, moral is: may be good, may not :roll:

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Our next door neighbor is not the garden & outdoor type, so they're happy to pay a small fortune for Chemlawn service 4 times a year, which is fine. We enjoy gardening & working around the yard, so we spreading Scott Bonus-S in early spring & follow up with Scott Turf Builder every 3 months at around $15-20 per application.

Our lawn is much thicker & has a noticeably deeper green than our next door Chemlawn neighbor. The trick is to use the proper fertilizer, Scott Turf Builder is da bomb :thumbup: .

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I pay a small local company to make 5 applications, they also offer optional services such as grub control, dethatching, core aeration, etc. They use different chemicals for different times of the year. Sometimes the application is a pellet, sometimes it is a liquid. The applications are automatic and cost around $55 per application for either preventing weeds or for fertilization. I have a service do this now because I was buying two $30 bags of Scott's per application plus I had to bring home the bags and apply the product, etc. It's cheaper for me to have someone else do it and my yard looks better than with the Scott's products.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Just watch out for crazy neighbors like my uncle.....there's a family rumor going around that he chased away a ChemLawn (or equivalent) from his neighbors lawn WITH A SHOVEL because he thought it was unlawful/inhumane :crazy:

Whatever, he can have his STRONG opinions

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I definitely vouch for the Scott's plan, but I don't ever remember paying more than $15 per bag. I even had to ease up on the routine because I had to cut the grass a lot more often just to keep up with the good lawn growth. :weirdo: 3 times per year is about all I do, with some light thatching once per year.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Darter said:
I definitely vouch for the Scott's plan, but I don't ever remember paying more than $15 per bag. I even had to ease up on the routine because I had to cut the grass a lot more often just to keep up with the good lawn growth. :weirdo: 3 times per year is about all I do, with some light thatching once per year.
I've got about an acre - Scott's sells a large bag and a small bag - the large bag is $30 and the smaller one is about $12-$15.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I keep flip flopping. One year on TrueGreen, one year doing it myself with Scotts. Results are about he same. Scotts is far cheaper, but doing extra yard work in 90*+ weather leads me to keep coming back to the more expensive but easier TrueGreen method...but both are very effective.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Keep in mind that "treating" with fertilizer and weed control is the easy part of it. It's simple enough to handle yourself. But aerating, dethatching, adding compost are periodically required, especially for old lawns and will probably add a lot to the cost.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Ditto with firefly...I hope pittsburgh reconsiders the thatching, especially 'cuz his lawn seems to grow so well. Aerating and dethatching are long-term maintenance, fertilizing rarelylasts over a month, most are gone sooner. The fertilizing will set up good growth patterns, and the thatching & aerating will help maintain them. Good to do once or twice a year, depending on the soil & growth patterns. Used chemlawn in CT, worked great, and the lawn grew great, too. In CA, don't need much fertilizer, but if you don't thatch and aerate in SoCal soils, you'll never have a good drought resistant lawn.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
I've used them in the past and saw no noticable difference than when I do it myself so I am back on the DIY plan. The key to using a service is to water constantly as they fertilize so heavy that the roots don't really take hold as they feed of the fertilizer and not the nutrients in the ground. Watering frequently pushed the fertilizer down and forces the lawn to root deeper to feed.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
I think Chemlawn provides an excellent service for those who don't have the time, or the know-how in caring for their lawn & shrub. That said, as I mentioned on my above thread, my next door neighbor & I have a little friendly competition on our front yard. He has been using Chemlawn exclusively for the past 4 years, and often brag about the result on his previous house.

Needless to say, I stuck with my Scott plan for my lawn & Miracle Grow for all my shrubs. We both built our houses from scratch and moved in at about the same time, and his shrubs & evergreen bushes are literally half the size of mine :lol: . My lawn is always greener than his (granted that I must admit that I tend to go back & forth on my side of the property line several times with the Scott fertilizer spreader :oops: ) ... yeah I do enjoy kicking his butts and showing him off :wink: . I know ... I don't have any pic, but I wish that I took some pic showing the contrasting green between our property line.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Their product and service is likely good quality but I didn't like their aggressive marketing ploys in my area (Seattle). When I first bought my house in 2001, I was extremely busy with things like a new job, moving my family, moving in, etc. So, I called Chemlawn and had them do some seasonally appropriate fertilizer, pH control, moss and insect eradication treatments. It turned out OK, the lawn looked good. After about six months I finally got organized and took over my lawn care. I called them to discontinued the service and they gave me a big song and dance about how I couldn't do what they do all by myself. I restated my request and they begrudgingly complied. However, within a couple of weeks, they started calling and trying to badger me to renew the service. Virtually every time they called and said "it's time to apply _______ to your lawn", I had already done it. After about 10 of these calls every couple of weeks, I finally had to tell them point-blank to never call me again. They also come through our neighborhood about once a month and leave a check off list evaluating the lawn. They checked off all sorts of problems and weeds that just don't exist! I talked with a neighbor and he got the exact same check list. I have to brag that my front lawn is often noted by the neighbors as the best in the neighborhood. To top it off, about a week ago, (about 4 years after I told them to bugger off) they sent us a letter that stated they were officially discontinuing the “contract” we had for Chemlawn care!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Fiend of mine worked for ChemLawn (now TruGreen) in Dallas several years ago. Some employees (not him) were accused of "hanging paper". That is sparaying only water or not spraying at all then billing the customer for the application. My friend also says of them using substandard chemicals, fertilizers, etc. Be carefull.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Scott's for sure. Just follow that plan. You can save yourself money that way. If you have a huge lawn, well then, maybe it would be worth to have them apply.

As for the aerating and thatching: if you got grass growing like rabbits, and cutting it without collecting, it would be in your best interest. Or those 5 apps a year are going to just get absorbed in a layer of thatch. Thatch is a layer of material (leaves, clippings, bird doo, old roots, etc) which essentially is a sponge above the roots. You apply water or fert or sprays (herb, fung, pesticides) and that sponge absorbs it never allowing it to get to the roots and maybe even drawing it away from the foilar surfaces. Best bet to get rid of thatch. That might even be enough of a healthy practice for your lawn that you would not find a need for much fert.

Even when collecting clip it is a good idea to aerate and/or thatch on a regular routine dependent upon lawn upkeep practices and expectations.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I used a service for two years-they showed up & applied chemicals often enough, but then told me I didn't water my lawn enough (probably true) I just didn't want to water my lawn very often, causes roots to grow short I guess-so now I use Scotts products-I can determine when I want to fertilize and how much

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
19 Participants
PassatVariantPunk
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing