Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically, with socketed Giac chips on, say, a 1998 1.8t.

Be SPECIFIC.

Be FAST.

How often do I ask you guys for information?

How often have I helped YOU?

Do it for your pal Sharky!

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
AWE tuning or GIAC in general?

AWE tuning has been known to have great customer service & etc.

Socketed GIAC chips have been known to come loose or the soldering jobs not done quite right. Sometimes the pins get bent back on the chip a bit and there isn't a solid connection.

I'm assuming you're having problems with a customer's car that has a socketed GIAC chip? Have him bring in the stock one . . . my bet would be a bad connection between the ECU and the socket or chip.

Dave

·
Registered
697 Posts
I am running a Autothority
2 freinds (one with a 99 the other a 98) with 1.8ts have had issues with the GIAC (both done at AWE in the early days)
One was a cold solder joint on the "socket" and the other was a contact issue between the eprom and the socket where on cold mornings it would loose contact.
Both were corrected by AWE at N/C

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wchp said:
I am running a Autothority
2 freinds (one with a 99 the other a 98) with 1.8ts have had issues with the GIAC (both done at AWE in the early days)
One was a cold solder joint on the "socket" and the other was a contact issue between the eprom and the socket where on cold mornings it would loose contact.
Both were corrected by AWE at N/C
What were the syptoms?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pass-variant said:
What were the syptoms?
Car won't start.
Yup.

My customer here ("krautluvr") is now on his 2nd ECM. The first one did the same thing after a while, and now the approximately 2 week old one I just put in is doing the same thing.

And here I was thinking I, Mister Wonderful, messed something up.

I HATE when some part makes me question what I THOUGHT I did correctly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Am I mister wonderful or are you? I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO POST THAT SHARKY IS A MECHANICAL GENIUS WHO WOULD GO OUT OF HIS WAY TO FIX THE PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY OR FIND OUT THE WHAT IS MAKING THE PROBLEM AND LAUGH AT YOU FOR DOING STUPID STUFF TO YOUR VW, AND LAUGH HARDER FOR BUYING A VW. iCANNOT THANK SHARK ENOUGH FOR WHAT HE HAS DONE :kiss: :kiss: :beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts