Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine is having a little trouble with her 3 year old Civic. Here is her description:

Starting yesterday, when I went to start my car, it took a second for the engine to catch. It made a kind of coughing sound almost like it does when it is low on gas, but I have half a tank so I know it can't be that. Then, each time I started it yesterday, I encountered the same sound again. This morning when I started the car, the sound is worse. It definitely sounds like a cough, and it takes a few seconds before the engine starts. Once I am driving, everything is fine.
Any thoughts on what this may be?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Haven't been under the hood of a Honda in a few years but they were prone to ignitor (ignition module) failures. It's in,or on, the distributor... Possibility.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Could be a number of things....electrical related (plugs, rotor/cap), or fuel system related.

Could be water in the fuel, have her try some dry gas, one bottle. Then work from there.

·
Registered
477 Posts
spark plugs., spark wires, ignitor... eletricial stuffs in the engine ., most likly to me!!!

3 years old!!!!... seems like she need a tune up of some kind.., plugs., plug wires.,., distrubtor cap... somehting like that.,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts