Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 week old 04 GLX has developed yet another problem. About 50% of the time I have difficulty shifting into 1st and 5th gears. Feels like I'm hitting an obstacle half way through the shifter travel. Sometimes I can apply a little force and get the gear in. Other times I have to back off and retry. I'm thinking its the syncros or the linkage but the car only has 1250 miles on it so I'm wondering why this is occuring. Any ideas that may help the dealer geniuses figure this out?

Thursday is my fourth dealer visit in the four weeks that I've owned the car. Wish me luck...

AlexR

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would like to know this also. I usually have a bit of trouble between first and second. The rest of the gears are pretty smooth but sometimes can feel a little 'notchy'

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
if the car is cold shifting can be harder especially on a brand new car. do you notice it when the engine has warmed up? give it time it should loosen up, still a vrigin now :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately the problem doesn't go away when the car warms up. The shifting gets a little smoother but there is still a lot of notchiness in the shifter and hard to engage the lower gears. It's when the car warms up that I start having a problem engaging 5th gear.

I've been watching this develop for a couple weeks initially thinking that the shifter just needs to loosen up but am now convinced that something is definitely not right.

Alex

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds like one of two things to me and you said them.

Either the linkage got bent or out of adjustment or the synchros. I had a Corrado and everyone know what happens to the synchros after 2 or 3 years of drive time.

Maybe your car was a Monday or Friday car :) .

What were the other issues that you had to bring your car in 4 x in 4 wks?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is my log of problems to date:

- 1.5 weeks old and 250 miles - brake vibration and metallic noise -> warped front rotors replaced (2 day stay at dealership)

- 2.5 weeks old and 600 miles - back in for "metallic noise" - dealer can't find problem but disassembles, lubes and reinstalls all four calipers -> problem resolved but dealer scratched driver's door (1 day stay)

- Next day - back to get scratches buffed out - dealer only got 80% of scratches out (.5 day stay)

- Tomorrow's visit for shifting problem

This is so much fun I can't stand it. Probably should've held on to my Maxima with 130K miles...

AlexR

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Alex, wow! I hope you are getting a loaner, and can you consider it a lemon with so few miles?

·
Registered
168 Posts
that sucks...

hope you have better luck!!!

Be persistant with your dealer and tell them its totally un acceptible....

i have a 2003 glx v6 30v
14kmiles on it and its 1yr 3mths old and relative to others having issues i so far have been spared cept the hesitation issue i have on low rpm acceleration after slowing down in trafic then reaccelerate...

vw has no clue whats causing it and agrees the hesitation is there....

ganx14

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
Ganx14
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing