Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the direct replacement plastic wood trim kit that Terrence Poon (HKB5variant) from Hong Kong is selling via a GB. I thought I would get started with the easy stuff, namely the door handle strips on the passenger doors. I tried removing the OEM plastic piece on the two right side doors for a few minutes but had no luck. How the heck are those things supposed to be pried off without destroying them or the door panels?

Also, I have read that you need to remove the center console to install the front ashtray door. Is this a major hassle or straightforward, just removing some screws?

I also read that you need a dremel tool for the large piece that goes around the radio. What is a dremel and what does it do? I know that I have to remove the radio via the four keys, but don't know what to do after that.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
62 Posts
They are pretty hard to get out. Look at the trim pieces from underneath, you'll find a small notch in there for a flat head screwdriver. Pry it up a bit and pull towards you.

As for the ashtray cover, it was easier than I thought. The only thing that I had to go out and buy was a "deep" socket (I think that's what they're called). The bolts were protruding out too much for me to use a standard socket. These are used for the three nuts underneath the center compartment. After that, unscrew a few more things and slide everything towards the rear of the car, just enough for you to gain access to the ashtray cover. Overall this took about 20 minutes from start to finish.

As for the radio, I can't offer any advise. I tried the "pendaflex" trick and have had no luck. The dealer tried poping it out for me but I may have messed them up so much that it may never come out. I'll probably try again during the summer. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
alibid, removing those door trim panels is just 1% short of snapping them in 1/2 and ripping them off the door. There is no graceful way to remove them. The leverage needed to pry them off is incredible so feel free to wedge a screwdriver into those pry slots and pry away. You will probably mar the surfaces of your door handles and such. If you don't, consider yourself lucky.

A dremel is a rotary cutting tool suitabe for precision cutting work. Once you disengage the locks via keys or some sort of 'pendaflex' trick, you can slide the radio right out.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i installed the center console, and used the edge of the screwdriver and the blade off the scissors to shave it to fit. the only thing i had to shave was the portion around the "ASR" button (i don't have heated seats - who needs them in CA?). the climate control piece didn't fit either, but i think i'll just stick with the regular trim on that one.

btw: don't install the wood trim when you're on a schedule! i was sitting off santa monica blvd., and was a little early for a meeting, so i thought i'd just install the center console. bad idea.

anyway, here are some pics of the center console removal:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71082&highlight=

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
D.Passat00
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing