Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just attempted to change my oil with this new extractor that I bought (found it on clubb5) but I have to say it was less than sucessful. I hooked it all up, but had several problems.

Here's how it went:

1. The small tube that goes into the dipstick has a rubber grommet that is pyrimidal shaped. It looks like it should fit into the dipstick, but the largest flange is what hits the dipstick first, and I can't turn it around.

2. After creating the vacuum and sticking the hose down as far as it would go, I couldnt get anything but a few drops out. It sucked and sucked but nothing happened

3. I moved the tube up and down in the engine and it then proceeded to suck some oil out. After working the thing for 20 mins, I really only extracted about 2.5 qts into the extractor, and then removed the oil filter (which at best I'd say was another .3 qts). This leaves me far below the total oil in the engine.

Please help! I know other people have used these things sucessfully, so I'm looking for some tricks/tips to make it pull ALL the oil out. On refill I only put about 3.4 qts in. My manual says 4.3 qts (3.8L) total. Any advice would be very much appreciated

Menko

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I have a few suggestions below, maybe they'll help:

camimenko said:
Hello all,

1. The small tube that goes into the dipstick has a rubber grommet that is pyrimidal shaped. It looks like it should fit into the dipstick, but the largest flange is what hits the dipstick first, and I can't turn it around.

Just take the grommet off. I think it's really just for daisy-chaining the different sizes of tubes.

2. After creating the vacuum and sticking the hose down as far as it would go, I couldnt get anything but a few drops out. It sucked and sucked but nothing happened

Don't stick the tube all the way in, the sweet spot is just a hair further than the length of the dipstick.

3. I moved the tube up and down in the engine and it then proceeded to suck some oil out. After working the thing for 20 mins, I really only extracted about 2.5 qts into the extractor, and then removed the oil filter (which at best I'd say was another .3 qts). This leaves me far below the total oil in the engine.

You're definitely on the right track here. Move the tube in a bit further, then out, and/or spin the tube so the opening is facing another direction in the pan until you hit the jackpot. When it starts picking up again, pump it a few more times so you'll get as much of what remains as possible. Also, I think the stock filter holds a bit more than .3 qts. Don't forget a lot of the oil won't come out of the filter once it's in there.

Please help! I know other people have used these things sucessfully, so I'm looking for some tricks/tips to make it pull ALL the oil out. On refill I only put about 3.4 qts in. My manual says 4.3 qts (3.8L) total. Any advice would be very much appreciated

I know they've raised the capacity, but double-check your car actually takes 4.3 qts. The early B5s took a lot less.
Menko

·
Registered
732 Posts
I attach the larger tube to the MityVac, then attach the small diameter tube to that with the rubber grommet. The smaller tube is what goes down into the dipstick tube. Follow RechtsFahren's directions after that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ericpeterman said:
I attach the larger tube to the MityVac, then attach the small diameter tube to that with the rubber grommet. The smaller tube is what goes down into the dipstick tube. Follow RechtsFahren's directions after that.
yeah maybe my description wasn't clear. That is the procedure I used.

thx

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I was wondering about the oil capacity as well. I didn't check it before I changed it (but the level has never dropped before). The actual capacity was a little hard for me to find in the manual--its not well documented in the manual, and just seems strange to me that a 1.8L engine would take that much oil. Just as a reference, my 2.8L Toyota engine takes 4.5 qts. But then again, maybe it likes more for the turbo cooling or something.

:crazy:

Thanks for the tips...anyone have more accurate info on oil capacity?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've used mine with perfect success each time. The MityVac works superbly, and it does so in the 1.8T. Small tube goes into the dipstick tube, that connects with rubber grommet to large tube which connects to MityVac. Push small tube into dipstick until slight resistance is felt (too far and the tube curls back around). Pump up vacuum. You may need to move the tube in or out slightly to get all the oil out. Pretty painless.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
I made a mistake of not adequately warmed up the engine, and it took forever to suck out the cold oil. Also, make sure to push the tube down until it bottoms out on the oil pan.

1.8T engine takes about 3.7 - 3.9 qtz. The best way is to fill it with about 3.5 qtz, then top it off by watching the dip stick.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't know the year of your 1.8, But mine is a '02 1.8. I've been using the Mityvac with great sucess. Dont start the pumping until the hose is in the tube. Mine drains all the oil in about 10 minutes tops.

Also the oil capacity in my variant is about 3.8 quarts not litres :thumbup:
HTH

·
Registered
46 Posts
Any of you tried extracting the oil, and then trying to drain it just to make sure that all the oil was out? If anyone of you have, were the results positive?
Also, any of you get paranoid? In the sense that I use the MityVac, and by reading the calibration on the barrel, it does not seem as I am taking out a whole 4 quarts (the oil capacity is more or less this). Then, when all the oil is extracted, if I wait a few minutes and then pump again, I start a little bit of oil again. Anybody experience the same thing?

·
Registered
325 Posts
A couple people have extracted the oil and then removed the drain plug and gotten nothing out or at most some dripping. An oil extractor is capable of removing as much or more oil from the 1.8T than using the drain plug. Keep in mind that the 3.8 or so quarts includes the oil in the filter. With the filter full and if the oil level wasn't completely topped up, it's entirely possible you'd get out less than 3 quarts.

Matt

·
Registered
46 Posts
mtrostel said:
A couple people have extracted the oil and then removed the drain plug and gotten nothing out or at most some dripping. An oil extractor is capable of removing as much or more oil from the 1.8T than using the drain plug. Keep in mind that the 3.8 or so quarts includes the oil in the filter. With the filter full and if the oil level wasn't completely topped up, it's entirely possible you'd get out less than 3 quarts.

Matt
No, I have never gotten less than 3 quarts. I guess I am just paranoid because, basically, it is almost too easy, and sometimes I am paranoid that maybe perhaps I am cheating and not draining all the oil, that is all.

·
Registered
732 Posts
It's about the same behavior as you get from pulling the plug. It doesn't all drain out at once. Remember, there's quite a bit in the filter so you won't get a full 4 quarts out of the sump.

Finally, not getting every last drop out is not significant. How many dealers and oil change places actually let the car drain for 10 minutes? Few, I assure you. The main thing is an overwhelming preponderance of fresh oil in the engine.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm about to start doing my own oil changes on my 1.8t...
Which is the best extractor to get and who has a good price?

I've been contemplating rhino ramps but I like the idea of no plug, no belly pan, no laying on my back in the middle of winter.

(i may get the ramps anyway for other future fixes)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I too have tried to use the extractor without warming up the oil. bad plan. :oops:

I've also taken to adding about a 1/2 quart to the top and draining it as well, but only after I've pulled all the dirty oil first. I'm surprised how fast it goes from the top of the engine to the bottom. after 5-7 minutes I can pull out the new, cleaner oil.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Do you just bring your mityvac to a gas station to dump/recycle the oil or do you save it up in an oil container and then bring that in?
Thanks.
I believe here in NY it is law that service stations accept used oil and batteries for recycling.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just got my MityVac and did my first change..
Went well except for the small mess from removing the dirty filter (practice makes perfect, even with the bag trick).

Quick question- do you guys clean the mityvac after using it?
I only see myself using this for oil changes so is it neccessary to clean it out?
Will the oil residue dry up or clog anything in the 5000 miles between uses?
I did pump the used oil out so it's just residue left in the tank and tubes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.