Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so pleased with this little tool that I made, that I just had to share. With it, I can easily disconnect electrical connectors which had previously given me fits.:banghead:

Here it is:

It's just a strip of metal about 3/16" wide by a little over an inch long, with one end bent over to make it easier to grasp.

Just insert it into the connector where the release tab is:

And then just squeeze the connector between your thumb and first finger while gently applying pressure to this tool to get the tab on the connector to release, and presto the connectors come right off!!!

To go even one better, I would cynch a rubber band through the bent over end, which you could then slip over your thumb so that it wouldn't fall out of your hand when you are reaching into small places.

For those of you who have sworn a blue streak trying disconnect that connector on the bottom radiator hose, fear it no more!!!:cool:

While I'm at it -- LOVE THIS FORUM -- saved me bundles of cash, and gives me confidence to tackle new jobs!:wrench:

Don
aka Lucy (it's the car's name!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't broken one yet. I'm sure one could, just make sure to lift the connector with your thumb/finger, and not just by pushing on the tool. And, yes, pushing the connector in first helps the tab to release better.

I think you will find yourself asking how did I ever get along all these years?!?!?!?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sometimes these clips break even when taking care. The safest way to remove them...with minimal stress on the connector...is to avoid that entire area. Instead...look at the other end directly opposite this area...on the other end of the connector. That little tab you bend back lifts up a plastic strip that locks on the other connector. If you look in the other end, you can see that strip. Use a hose removal tool or small screwdriver...stick it in the open end...and lift up that strip. Very low stress...no breakages yet.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,304 Posts
I just use a flat blade screw driver and twist it until I hear a click. Works every time.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,588 Posts
Cool tool. The other one I like is an uncoiled paper clip whose ends were squeezed in a vise -- works like a champ for disassembling electrical connectors, such as the ones to the ignition coils.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.