Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently hit a porcupine on the highway, and found a few dozen quills throughout the bottom of my engine bay. Yeah, I know I need a skid plate, and actually ordered one 3 days prior, yay.

What concerns me, is this picture. I now need to replace this oil cooler hose, and am just looking for advice. Is this something I can easily do, what would I need to do/remove to do it, or should I just go to the local garage?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
14,171 Posts
It's pretty simple to replace that coolant hose to the oil cooler. You'll just need the right coolant to replace. Never mix the VW coolant with other stuff! Of you're not sure, tell us the color of your coolant and year of your car.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,880 Posts
I know the area you are talking about. Never seen one up there...I know they are there, but still, I've never seen one up there.

be advised that when you replace that hose, it'll require a drain and re-fill of your coolant.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,463 Posts
I know the area you are talking about. Never seen one up there...I know they are there, but still, I've never seen one up there.
Of course not. Someone up there keeps running them over. :p
And the smarter ones now run and hide when they see a Passat coming. :D

This reminds me of a frantic midnight phone call I received years ago. A friend of mine was coming back from visiting a collage in central Illinois and doing the high speed open country highway cruise at night. I think he hit a large possum crossing the road and it tore up his lower valance and radiator. I answer the phone and he says... "You won't believe this... I just hit an armadillo!" :icon_eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

This reminds me of a frantic midnight phone call I received years ago. A friend of mine was coming back from visiting a collage in central Illinois and doing the high speed open country highway cruise at night. I think he hit a large possum crossing the road and it tore up his lower valance and radiator. I answer the phone and he says... "You won't believe this... I just hit an armadillo!" :icon_eek:
:lol:

Jay, what can I expect for a full refill of the coolant system, volume wise? I've never done anything with this particular system, so am kinda learning as I go now.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,880 Posts
I'd try to keep them fully attached to the hose, and keep the whole thing. ;)

that might not be possible, tho - both oil cooler hoses are fairly short, so pulling the hose off may require removing the quills first.

·
Registered
29,164 Posts

Armadillo: AKA "Texas Speedbump"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.