Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 23K miles on my '03 Passat 4Mo Variant. The outer edges of my original tires are starting to look questionable. How much tire life have you seen on these things? While on the subject, any recommendations on a future set (brand/type)?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I finally replaced mine at 40K...the outer edges of mine has already looked very bad around 37K.
If you're looking for all season...I highly recommend the Toyo Proxes 4 :thumbup:

C._

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have almost 32K on mine and they look like they have 50% tread left, maybe a little less than that. However, they do wear a little funny around the outer edges, kinda like they're feathering a bit. Probably just from cornering. Also, I do have one tire with belts that are starting to seperate, causing a shimmy in my steering wheel when its mounted on the front.

·
Registered
372 Posts
the outer edges on my '01 4Mo Variant are gone at 36K; replacing with Falken Ziex ZE-512.

If not for the outer-edge destruction (although VW repeatedly claims that all alignment parameters are "within factory specifications), it is likely that the tires would have lasted several more years--although I would have replaced them anyway with something better.

Was down to ContiExtremes, ContiPremiers, and Falken Ziex.

·
Registered
26,011 Posts
Replaced mine at 32K,they might have had 2-5k left,but were starting to hydoplane.
Went with Bridgestone Turanza LS-H. You might get the LS-V for more performance. Best tires I have had,long lasting,great handling and great in the wet.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The Bridgestone Turanza is an excellent choice for a good blend of both worlds. Also, the Continental Extreme Contact is pretty smooth and quiet riding for the performance level it provides.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I thought the tread was rated for somewhere between 40-50K.

I don't have a really good idea on tread life in my experience, because we kept blowing tires out left and right, and after a while I didn't know which ones had what miles on 'em :???:

However, I'm pretty sure that at least 1-2 of the tires was original, and we replaced them at 50K. The sidewalls were still pretty good, and I didn't notice the edges being worn at all.

Replaced them with Bridgestone HP50's - I like them but the ride is a bit harsher (which I don't mind) and noisier (meh). The great handling makes up for these questionable qualities.

The best thing is now we have Road Hazard warranty :thumbup:

·
Registered
26,011 Posts
Tires may be expected to last a certain number of miles based on average use.
I and many others can wear them out fast. My brakes look like new,no point in
slowing down for a corner with a good suspension.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
old post, but wanted to revisit - alingment?

It seems that several of us have had feathering, balding edges on our OEM tires. And I think a couple of you said that your tires have worn like this even when your aligment was within VW spec. Both of my passanger side OEM tires were balding on the edges. I just got new tires at Sears and they said that even if I did need an alignment, they wouldn't do it on a 4MO claiming it's too complicated for them. I guess bottom line, If get an alignment somewhere, will my tires still wear unevenly. I had 28K miles on my OEM Michelins.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I replaced my OEM Michelins ar 23K. They had some thread left, but not enough to provide any traction in the Snow. I replaced them with Bridgestone Turanza Revos. This was definitely a better tire and came with a 50K warrantee. However, after 27K, they had approx 3/16" tread left that again wouldn't do very much in the Snow. This depth represents about 50% of the thread life remaining according to the manufacturer- Note, the thread wear/life is not linear, it was about 3/4 gone).

So, I just installed some Nokian WRs, Also a 50K warantee, and a Hazard warrantee for the first year. Not the same ride comfort or performance, and a bit noisier, but I'm willing to live with the shortcomings to see how they handle the snow, particularly after 20K wears down the thread a little.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just replaced mine yesterday at 57k... Probably had enough tread to get me through the winter but I did not want to take any chances at not having maximum grip.

They did start wearing unevenly on the inner edge at about 35k. I got an alignment which seemed to fix that. I also did rotate them regularly...

If you drive "normally":poke: and are your tires are regularly wearing out prematurely... Check your tire pressure regularly and keep up on your rotations.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
I replaced the OEM Michelins at about 21,000 miles about a month ago. I monitored the air pressure like it was a sacrament in a new religion, maintained a strict rotation schedule, and had the car aligned. And I drive like a grandmother. They all wore evenly, but quickly - they were almost down to the wear bars all the way across the tire and would have been dangerous in any amount of snow. Unlike some of you, they looked no different at the edges than at the center. I maintained them at 32 PSI all around throughout their life.

I blame the poor treadlife on so many of the local roads having "tar-and-chip" surfaces - it's like driving on sandpaper.

·
Registered
42 Posts
VW's "Suggestions"

Half Load
(up to 100mph)
Front - 29 Rear - 28
(more than 100mph)
Front - 32 Rear - 29

Full Load
(up to 100mph)
Front - 32 Rear 41
(More than 100mph)
Front - 36 Rear 44

I generally keep my pressure between the "Half" and "Full load" at "more than 100mph" ratings. I never ran the pressure the same all around.

also.... always checked pressure when tires were cold.

·
Registered
696 Posts
since i got chipped, id say my stocks went at around 17k, and were worn on the inside through to the white cloth layer :(, the continentals are better from what i understand, slightly

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
16 Participants
ms12339
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing