Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of the oil sludge/coke grief in the longitudinal 1.8T, WHY does the transverse 2.0T have only 0.2 qts. of additional oil capacity, for a total of 4.4 qts.? Come on, VW, give us a respectable capacity, such as a JETTA 1.8T's 5 qts.! Changing the engine orientation was a perfect opportunity to resolve a serious engineering defect.

·
Registered
150 Posts
1.8T Passat has ~4.5 Liters now w/larger Oil Filter

Hi John_E,

I have a 2002 Passat 1.8T with 72K Miles and never experienced any sludge issues since buying it new in MAR2002. I used Mann P/N W 719/5 Oil Filters for the first 50K Miles for a total capacity of 4 Liters. I then switched to the Mann P/N W 940/25 Oil Filter (larger) for 4.5 Liters total capacity.

I changed the Oil Filter and Engine Oil (Mobil 1 Synth) every 5K Miles and I've been told by several that I probably won't have any sludge issues because I faithfully followed this practice.

4.4 Qt's will probably be sufficient if you're faithful to follow the correct change interval and use full-synthetic motor oil. Furthermore, I'd always recommend synthetic oil for turbo equipped motors because of the higher heat levels they generate over a normally asperated motor.

Take care,

R11S

1 - 2 of 2 Posts