Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a wireless fm transmitter on a aftermarket HU to play MP3s?? If so how good are they?? I'm considering purchasing one.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
I have had both(two different cars) I had a griffin road trip in my B5, and really liked it.

I also had an alpine deck in my b5.5(totaled) that had an Ipod hook up.

Both are currently for sale if you are interested.

·
Registered
47 Posts
we just bought one yesterday - noticed the further from the antenna the more staticcy (sp?) it got... and as our antennas are in the back, it wasnt as great as it could be. we did try just for fun, holding it outside up above the roof - great reception!

i also have the thing that plays through the tape deck, i like it better - but maybe in jan i am going to go for the direct connect to the back of the stereo

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Purists will tell you that FM modulation is about the worst thing you can do to your music. However, since you've likely ripped it from a CD to a 128k mp3 format, you've already stripped out a lot of the detail. (If you kept it to 192k or 320k sound, you'll use a lot more space, but get better quality.)

That said, I own the SanDisk Sansa e280, have ripped 1,000 songs from CD to 128k mp3 and use a Maximo FM transmitter to listen to music in my car. At this point, I am honestly concerned with quantity over best quality and the FM transmitter performs beautifully for *my* needs.

·
Registered
311 Posts
unless you don't have a tape deck and/or you don't want a cord hanging from the HU, a cassette adapter generally sounds better than the FM transmitters, and they're only about $15 bucks (remember before MP3 players those things were about $8?). Before I got the icelink, I used an adapter -- ran the cord down the front, over side and up to the armrest.

·
Registered
47 Posts
would it be better to run the cords from the cd changer plug in the trunk or go directly from the back of the HU? i am assuming directly from the HU might be a little more work?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well to be straight, I have a Kenwood KDC-128 that I'm about to have put in my car. It does have RCA jacks so I'm wondering if it's possible to just buy plugs and play it through the rear of the stereo instead of buying a transmitter and dealing with messed up reception?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
From what I am reading your kenwood's RCA are pre-amp outs there may be an adapter to turn the cd changer plug into a AUX-in, but you would have to get the adapter. The Kenwood CA-C1AUX might be what you need. Do some research and see if it works with your HU. If it does I would say that this is the way to go.

thad.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I am reading your kenwood's RCA are pre-amp outs there may be an adapter to turn the cd changer plug into a AUX-in, but you would have to get the adapter. The Kenwood CA-C1AUX might be what you need. Do some research and see if it works with your HU. If it does I would say that this is the way to go.

thad.
Cool.....I will check that out....thanks Darth

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would hardwire if you can. I have a Belkin Tune base for my nano and I'm very happy with how it mounts and looks in the car, but the sound quality is not that good. In the LA basin it's pretty much hopeless trying to get over the radio noise.

I almost installed a cable harness to the CD changer in my trunk. That supposedly lets you display track # on your OEM stero as well...

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello everybody and thanks for your cool info. Being that I live in the city an FM transmitter would be a bad option. So as of now I have a Kenwood system for sale and I'm chasing down a Pioneer system that has aux input, that will make things a whole lot easier for me......just plug n play.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Hello everybody and thanks for your cool info. Being that I live in the city an FM transmitter would be a bad option.
What? I live just north of Chicago and my daily commute brings me even closer to the city. My FM transmitter kicks right through the OTA noise and brings a surprisingly clear signal.

But, hey ...it's your reception perception that counts.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What? I live just north of Chicago and my daily commute brings me even closer to the city. My FM transmitter kicks right through the OTA noise and brings a surprisingly clear signal.

But, hey ...it's your reception perception that counts.
Really?? I guess that would depend on how good the transmitter is. Probably those off the side bootleg ones have sucky reception.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My Tune base don't cut it in LA....

Also, I think the frequent charging kiled my battery life on my nano. It went down quickly it seems like after I started using the tunebase.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a belkin FM transmitter that sucks because it can transmit on 4 channel only. If you get one, buy one that you can select multiple stations for better reception. If your HU has a AUX-IN jack that would be better to use.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a belkin FM transmitter that sucks because it can transmit on 4 channel only. If you get one, buy one that you can select multiple stations for better reception. If your HU has a AUX-IN jack that would be better to use.
Yea, that's that I'm doing....I bought a Kenwood HU but it only has RCA pre-outs. So now I'm selling the Kenwood and going after a Pioneer HU that has an aux input, that will be a whole lot better for me and my MP3.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts