Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, ive had several transmissions out of other cars, bmws, mitsubishi, hondas,

but this one is giving me a real head ach

got a 04 vw passat 1.8t automatic fwd

Can anyone point me to a documented DIY thread where someone did this and has hints and suggestions?

I searched, i am sorry if i missed it but if no ones created one yet have a few questions

what size torx or what ever that thing is, looks like almost a 12 point torx if they make that, what size is needed for the removal of the axles? I need to go buy it i guess because my torx set has only 6 point in it, honestly never seen the 12 point or whatever the heck these things are

the hanes manual is a joke doesnt describe what i have to do at all so how much of the exhaust do i have to drop, and where do i start un bolting, i took off the cat from the turbo elbow and im wording if i should have started a joint lower?

any tricks for getting the shifter cable off the selector itself id be able to get my head up there if i could get the transmission mounts off but im having trouble with that to

thanks for the advise ahead of time guys

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,709 Posts
shifter cable, get a really long flat tip screw driver and go from the back of the tranny forward and pop the ball/socket joint apart and then remove the 2 bolts holding the cable to the mount. i dont remember if they are allen head or hex head its been awhile since i pulled an auto tranny, i wanna say its either a 10mm bolt or a 6mm allen head.

also the tranny bolts, the ones on the starter all the way up and over to where the oil pan meets the block are 16mm bolts, there are 3 that go through the bottom of the oil pan into the tranny those are 16mm as well and a bastard to get the easiest way i found is to pick the engine up off the mounts to get them off. then there is a bolt on the drivers side that is is through the bellhousing and engine its a 17mm head with a 16mm nut, and a bolt on the passengers side that is really long goes through the bellhousing and engine its a 19mm bolt and a 16mm nut i believe.

but before you completely remove the bolts above, you need to pull the starter, passengers side should be 16mm bolts, and then use i believe its a T45 torx and remove the 3 flexplate bolts through the starter hole by rotating the engine till you can get them.

once that is done jack the tranny up and remove the tranny mounts, and to make life either the tranny mount brackets they are held on with 8mm allen heads, 4 on each mount i believe but there might just be 3 on the passengers side i dont recall if its like the manual tranny. then with the tranny still supported by the jack remove the rest of the bolts then wiggle the tranny back off the alignment pins and lower it down. dont try and do it without a jack/tranny jack the auto is a heavy azz pig.

also you should remove the downpipe as well, and dont forget to unplug the 2 cannon plugs and the VSS sensor on the drivers side of the tranny.

·
15,709 Posts
thats going to do nothing for him, thats for a mk3 jetta/golf or B4 passat completely different engine/tranny setup than the B5 passat

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shifter cable, get a really long flat tip screw driver and go from the back of the tranny forward and pop the ball/socket joint apart and then remove the 2 bolts holding the cable to the mount. i dont remember if they are allen head or hex head its been awhile since i pulled an auto tranny, i wanna say its either a 10mm bolt or a 6mm allen head.

also the tranny bolts, the ones on the starter all the way up and over to where the oil pan meets the block are 16mm bolts, there are 3 that go through the bottom of the oil pan into the tranny those are 16mm as well and a bastard to get the easiest way i found is to pick the engine up off the mounts to get them off. then there is a bolt on the drivers side that is is through the bellhousing and engine its a 17mm head with a 16mm nut, and a bolt on the passengers side that is really long goes through the bellhousing and engine its a 19mm bolt and a 16mm nut i believe.

but before you completely remove the bolts above, you need to pull the starter, passengers side should be 16mm bolts, and then use i believe its a T45 torx and remove the 3 flexplate bolts through the starter hole by rotating the engine till you can get them.

once that is done jack the tranny up and remove the tranny mounts, and to make life either the tranny mount brackets they are held on with 8mm allen heads, 4 on each mount i believe but there might just be 3 on the passengers side i dont recall if its like the manual tranny. then with the tranny still supported by the jack remove the rest of the bolts then wiggle the tranny back off the alignment pins and lower it down. dont try and do it without a jack/tranny jack the auto is a heavy azz pig.

also you should remove the downpipe as well, and dont forget to unplug the 2 cannon plugs and the VSS sensor on the drivers side of the tranny.
thank you very much, exactly the info i was looking for, much appreciated really my knuckles and blood pressure thank you:thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Attacking this sucker tomorrow afternoon again, had to order the 10mm triple square couldnt find it anywhere, sears, harbor freight, nothing, short of going to VW i figured

any other small hints or info from any other members to help the process go smooth? the guy above gave me a good start,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok next set of questions, how do i rotate the motor to get the bolts to show?
How in gods green earth do i get the connector on the starter that goes into the wiring harness off, it has a red tab that i pulled out, still not coming out, how is this thing still on here, whats the trick to get that lil bugger off?
which trany mount needs to come off, or do they both need to be un bolted and sheaded so this pig of a tranny can drop down?

thanks guys

·
15,709 Posts
19mm 12 pt socket on the crank bolt to rotate the engine, starter wire is stupid and a bastard to get off i usually give it a yank and pray lol. worst case is you break the plastic and have to add a spade connector to it i have done that before.

also pull both tranny mounts so you dont have to fight it as much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
19mm 12 pt socket on the crank bolt to rotate the engine, starter wire is stupid and a bastard to get off i usually give it a yank and pray lol. worst case is you break the plastic and have to add a spade connector to it i have done that before.

also pull both tranny mounts so you dont have to fight it as much.
thank you again for the advice
and duh on the turning the motor, i had a really dumb moment on that one, thanks for the socket size that will save me time
hope to have this thing out today

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update, got the three bolts out of the torque coverter, released all the trans and motor mounts, and got that stubborn starter plug out, time to lower the sub frame and go after the bolts holding the tranny tot the block, for future info the 19mm crank bolt can not be easily reached in this motor, i took one look at it and said screw it id either have to lift the engine and slide it back or take the entire front clip off just to get some room to get the socket in there, i actually took a flat blade and slowly but surely ratched the flywheel around using the ports at the bottom of the transmission. tooth by tooth got her to rotate around and get access to the 3 bolts.

very time consuming for sure but one i get the sub frame lowered a little i think ill have more room to get the rest of the tranny bolts out. getting the engine hoist and transmission jack ready,

Kyle

ohh and was trying to post in the WTB section but im not cleared for it yet i guess, need a torque converter, ive got a used tranny but no torque converter so please if anyone has one laying around in good working order or they can refer me to a place that will rebuild for less then 200 that would be great, i can get a new one for 400 from a shop up my road

ORRR is the one in the blown tranny fine to use?? i dont know a ton about the automatic transmission set up but to me i dont think its a good idea to use the old one???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
picked up another used tranny this one had the torque converter with it, so im all set now, just plug and play

question though, whats the best way to drain/ replace the fluid, any way to completely drain the entire thing? or am i doing it 3quarts at a time when the trannys in the car? fresh flush, then drive 50 miles then another flush??? suggestions would be great and what about the side drain for the diff in the tranny, how do i go about that flushing it? or is the fluid part of the entire sysytem

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
answers to my last questions? still wondering on the fluid questions for sure

update, trans is out of the car and every thing is prep d to go back in the car, want to for sure get this thing bolted to the motor today

1 - 20 of 20 Posts