Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was driving my 1998 1.8T Tiptronic B5, and there was a big line of cars ahead of me, so, what I did was to stop, put the R gear on and begin my way back, and let's say that I reached 2000 RPM, but suddenly, my motor went off; so I put the knob to P, then started again the motor and there was a STRANGE noise under the hood, but the car did work and I took it to my house.

The next day, the noise remains, and when I try to put it on R or D, it doesn't work well.

Do you know anything about it?
Has anyone had any problem like this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
A couple of questions for you:
When the motor turned off, did you come to a complete stop before putting it in P?
Can you describe the "strange" noise - tinkling, buzzing, whinning, grinding? Is it related to speed?

Gruß - Scott

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, when the motor turbned off I came to a complete stop before putting the P, and the noise is like buzzing.

I'm not the original owner; in fact, I don't know if the previous owner made a service to the trany. I think not!.
I bought the car 1 year ago, and it had 101,000 miles. At this moment it have 121,000, and all was working very good.
I have never had any problem with it, until now.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Broken mount?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You will want to check the shift cable (automatic transaxles) along with the fluid. See if anything looks incorrect? Are you able to start the engine in other gears other then "park or neutral"? The problem with the Automatic tranny is how complex it can be. You have either: electrical, mechanical or hydraulic problems, but my guess is that it sounds more mechanical(????) then the other items listed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Buzzing is not good. At least you haven't gotten to the "THUMP!-hhisssss" stage yet...

More questions:
Does it make noise in Neutral at idle?
Keep it in Neutral and raise the idle (gently) to 2000 rpm. Any noise?
Does it make noise in Park at idle?
Keep it in Park and raise the idle (gently) to 2000 rpm. Any noise?
Put it in Drive. Does the noise begin immediately?
Apply the brake and (very gently) raise engine to 2000 rpm; do NOT do this for longer than a couple of seconds. Did the noise change pitch?

What I'm looking for is the exact conditions under which you get noise and those that you don't. We can (theoretically) identify exactly where the problem is based on load direction and gear. Unfortunately, it may just be an academic exercise - my gut feel is that it's time for a rebuild. Sorry.

Best o' luck - Scott

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. I give up!.

I took the car to the dealer, for them to check what the problem could be.
And...........After 4 days on that place, the just told me that I need a new transmission!!!!! :cry: , that there are no parts that can be buyed to fix mine.

Well, now, at this point, I don´t know what to do........burn the car? Sell it in parts??? :crazy:

If any one of you have any info where can I get a transmission (used or rebuilt), and not too expensive, I will be very thankful.

Oh, and thanks for your replys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.