Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 V6 4Motion with approximately 78,000 miles on it. I'm the original owner and have just started having a problem with the transmission where it seems like its slipping or not engaging. When driving and trying to accelerate (to make a pass or get on an on ramp for example) the engine revs up but the car doesn't move any faster (like if you had put it in neutral). it does it from a stand still sometimes too. Sometimes it will rev up and then catch/engage but other times it will just rev up to redline and you have to let off the gas and try again.

I did a search and saw some posts about what appears to be similar problems but I'm not sure if it is the same...has anyone else had the problem that I am describing (I know its not a great description). It looks like the usual suggestion is to change the tranny fluid and filter. Based on what Iv'e described do you think that will solve the problem or do you think I'm not going to be so lucky? :nervous:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
if you hit the gas and your not going anywhere its probably youre clutch crapping out on you..(im assuming you have a manual tranny) if auto..idn?

·
Registered
752 Posts
You are still covered under the 10/100, sounds like time to take it in. I would not settle for a tranny flush right now, sounds like something is wrong. I would rather take it in with the problem before trying things, if you change the fluid elsewhere they might try to blame that as the cause. Know that dealers do not often tear into transmission I think you are looking at getting a new one unless they find an electrical problem causing this.
Try to figure out if there is any pattern to when it does this (hot cold uphill...), that way you might be able to help them diagnose it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Jinxx said:
I have a 2000 V6 4Motion with approximately 78,000 miles on it. I'm the original owner and have just started having a problem with the transmission where it seems like its slipping or not engaging. When driving and trying to accelerate (to make a pass or get on an on ramp for example) the engine revs up but the car doesn't move any faster (like if you had put it in neutral). it does it from a stand still sometimes too. Sometimes it will rev up and then catch/engage but other times it will just rev up to redline and you have to let off the gas and try again.

I did a search and saw some posts about what appears to be similar problems but I'm not sure if it is the same...has anyone else had the problem that I am describing (I know its not a great description). It looks like the usual suggestion is to change the tranny fluid and filter. Based on what Iv'e described do you think that will solve the problem or do you think I'm not going to be so lucky? :nervous:
I'm guessing you have an automatic, but you don't say for certain. If you're still under powertrain warranty, don't screw with it at all. You absolutely should take it directly to the dealer and let them figure out. If you're lucky, you might have something broken inside the transmission and you'll get a new one - dealers generally don't try to disassemble and repair transmissions. Getting to "start the clock over" on your transmission at 78k miles for free ain't a bad deal.

If not, in order to self-diagnose an automatic transmission, you really need to have access to a VAG-COM. You need to see if there's any trouble codes stored, and you need to see what combination of components could be causing the problem. Fluid change wouldn't hurt, but the first thing you would do is use VAG-COM or a similar tool to check for diagnostic trouble codes and deal accordingly with those. There are also a variety of sensors the transmission uses to influence its operation and you should make sure those are all giving sensible readings, but for the most part if a sensor goes screwy the TCM will notice outright or notice by virtue of it disagreeing with reality (other sensors) and set a DTC. You can also compare the commanded state of the shift solenoids with reality. You can see if the TCM hasn't commanded a shift for some reason, or if it has and there's perhaps a stuck solenoid or valve. You need the repair manual to know what solenoids and pressure control valves are supposed to be active when.

If there are no DTCs, no screwy sensors and the solenoids and valves are doing the right thing according to VAG-COM, you have a mechanical or hydraulic (valve) problem. Those you can also diagnose if you have the repair manual, by figuring out what gear(s) the problem occurs in and isolate the problem down to one or more internal clutches or brakes failing to operate.

If you do get access to a VAG-COM, it might not have a label file for the 01V transmission controller. A label file is needed to help you interpret the TCM's measuring blocks that tell you what state it's in. I just got done writing one for mine. My TCM will probably be newer than yours and thus the label file I wrote won't quite apply, but if VAG-COM doesn't have a label file for your TCM either, let me know and I can probably help.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
jyoung8607 said:
...If not, in order to self-diagnose an automatic transmission, you really need to have access to a VAG-COM. You need to see if there's any trouble codes stored, and you need to see what combination of components could be causing the problem. Fluid change wouldn't hurt, but the first thing you would do is use VAG-COM or a similar tool to check for diagnostic trouble codes and deal accordingly with those. There are also a variety of sensors the transmission uses to influence its operation and you should make sure those are all giving sensible readings, but for the most part if a sensor goes screwy the TCM will notice outright or notice by virtue of it disagreeing with reality (other sensors) and set a DTC. You can also compare the commanded state of the shift solenoids with reality. You can see if the TCM hasn't commanded a shift for some reason, or if it has and there's perhaps a stuck solenoid or valve. You need the repair manual to know what solenoids and pressure control valves are supposed to be active when.

If there are no DTCs, no screwy sensors and the solenoids and valves are doing the right thing according to VAG-COM, you have a mechanical or hydraulic (valve) problem. Those you can also diagnose if you have the repair manual, by figuring out what gear(s) the problem occurs in and isolate the problem down to one or more internal clutches or brakes failing to operate.

If you do get access to a VAG-COM, it might not have a label file for the 01V transmission controller. A label file is needed to help you interpret the TCM's measuring blocks that tell you what state it's in. I just got done writing one for mine. My TCM will probably be newer than yours and thus the label file I wrote won't quite apply, but if VAG-COM doesn't have a label file for your TCM either, let me know and I can probably help.
I Like You. :salute:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Rusty said:
I Like You. :salute:
Heh, thanks. :) I picked up a copy of VAG-COM about 3 or 4 weeks ago and also a subscription to the Bentley online repair info site. It has all the VW training materials as well as the repair info. I decided a couple of months ago that I wanted my Passat to be a 150-200k mile car for me, so I wanted to start being more involved in the maintenance and to more thoroughly understand the car. It's turned into an interesting hobby. I'm a computer geek type, so I groove on the troubleshooting/OBD end of things. You've caught me on the week that I'm focusing on understanding the transmission and its controls, is all, don't mistake me for a real expert. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info, advice and opinions guys! I was typing at 2am so I knew I'd leave something out :rolleyes:

It is a Tiptronic and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to when it does what its doing (hot, cold, downhill, flat, uphill, etc). I took it for a drive trying to narrow it down but no luck. I also don't have a VAG-COM or know anyone with one so it sounds like I have to take it to the dealer :( I hate taking it there because they are so frickin expensive and I have to remove my radio everytime I do because of their concern about the K-Wire which I have already shown them on multiple occasions is not connected and is taped off....sigh.

Thanks again and if anyone thinks of something else, let me know :thumbup:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Jinxx said:
It is a Tiptronic and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to when it does what its doing (hot, cold, downhill, flat, uphill, etc). I took it for a drive trying to narrow it down but no luck. I also don't have a VAG-COM or know anyone with one so it sounds like I have to take it to the dealer :(
You have a PM from me with some information that might help further diagnose the problem. And if you're handy enough to get a filter and ATF change done, users here say that does help sometimes. If nothing else, you could at least pop the filler cap (not the drain cap) and make sure you're at the right level of ATF, that you don't have any big leaks, etc. Search around for the posts in the Information forum and other places for how to do this.

Jinxx said:
I hate taking it there because they are so frickin expensive...
I wouldn't personally know this one way or the other. But judging from one post in this thread and lots of other posts I've seen on other forums about your model year, you still ought to be under powertrain warranty. Are you sure this will cost you anything?

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,432 Posts
This thread is yet another arugment for changing the ATF and filter every 40-60k miles / 65-100k km, instead of believing the "lifetime fluid" hype.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts