Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Driving to work today I think my transmission locked up. I was using the Tip and in fourth gear all the red indicator lights on the dash (P12345) lit up.

I couldn't switch gears, and it stayed in 4th. I put it back to drive but that didn't help.

I came to a complete stop, started driving again, but you could tell it was still in fouth, I could barely move it.

I shut the car off, started it up again, and everything appears back to normal except that when I come to a complete stop now, my car jerks forward.

Is this a sign of bad things to come? :cry:

I just got the car less than 2 weeks ago.

2001 b5.5 1.8t tip

Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Check the fluid level

Did you check the ATF level and condition? New fluid can make a huge difference. However, I've never read about the gears getting stuck. Its still worth a check.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Is this a sign of bad things to come? :cry:

I just got the car less than 2 weeks ago.

2001 b5.5 1.8t tip

Thanks.
when you reset the battery the code erases but dont do that unless you have the radio code too .
.............dont you have a 30 warentee from the car dealer...............

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok great, thanks guys.

I have an appointment tomorrow for a tranny fluid flush and filter change.

I hope that does the trick.

I would like to do it myself so I can see if there is anything collected on the magnet but I don't have the time/tools/confidence to do it.

You guys rock. :bowdown:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in Huntsville, Ontario.

2 hours north of Toronto.

Midas quoted me $120 for the fluid flush, and she is getting back to me on the filter.

Should I not be driving this car? Is there a safer way to drive it until I get it looked at?

120 Canadian is +/- 100 American I reckon.

·
Registered
239 Posts
What fluid are they replacing it with??

Make sure they put the correct stuff. Its not like motor oil where you change it every 3k miles. The price range for ATF can be anything from $3/quart to $10/quart. With Midas, I will bet they will put the stock ATF. It might even be worth it for you to bring 6quarts of VW approved ATF. The filter with gasket goes for $40 retail.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Its sounds about right

BKsuperman,

The price sounds about right if they use the correct stuff and replace the filter. (Not even OEM, but quaker state VW approved). What was your net cost to change your ATF? You ran just under $100. Midas has to make some money.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I wouldn't have midas do it. I doubt they'll even use the right fluid and the fluid needs to be filled to the exact level. Its a complex job I'd only really trust to a european mechanic (our trannies are used in BMWs too).
BTW, I paid $225US for a complete flush and pan drop and cleaning (make sure they clean pan and magnets) with OEM fluid. I feel that is a fair price for something you do infrequently. Low bidder is bad news here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Allright,

I gave the dealership hell and they are going to take it in to look at it.

They are a Honda dealership, but one of their techs is a VW veteran.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so the car is out of my hands.

Before even bringing it in the service guy ordered a new rad for the car?

He said that it is common for that to break, which somehow would result in me loosing tranny fluid?

Help me through this one guys. He was already impressed with how much I knew because of this forum.

I got a ride to work in a 07 Accord. Nice car.... :whistle:

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The ATF cooler is part of the radiator. I don't recall reading that an ATF cooler leak is a common problem especially leaking into the coolant. Maybe a bad connection of the ATF lines at the radiator. If the ATF were leaking, you generally would see oil-like spots under the car after the car has sat a while. Might be common on a HONDA but I don't believe it is on a PASSAT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well they replaced the rad, which they think caused the leak.

They did the fluid flush and changed out the filter.

Looking back over our emails, I don't think he ever told me they would take care of the bill.

What would something like this cost if I'm stuck with the bill?

p.s. they gave me a Mercury Mystique as a loaner. I WANT MY CAR BACK!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, the dealership was kind enough to remedy this problem on their dime.

Replaced the rad, fluid flush and filter change.

Car drives like a DREAM now.

Maybe it's from driving that Mercury for 2 days, but it seems to drive better than ever. Shifting as smooth as silk, and no jerk when I come to a stop.

Thanks guys. :salute:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts