Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well to begin with this my car is a 2002 glx v6 4motion automatic tiptronic varaint .
i started to notice that when shifting from park to reverse it would shift with a big jerk and then from reverse to D(drive) too .. but i figured that it wasnt a big deal cause it happened once or twice but now it does it every time i back out of my parking space ....
..then i started to get hard shifts accelrate from crusing 5th gear violently shift down to 4th .....
..then im get a hard shift from 3nd gear going up to 4th gear
the worst 1 is :
..when slowing down getting off the highway or just slowing down period i get a real hard down shift from 3rd to 1st...
NOW today the PRND4321 changed colors to the inverted way its supposed to be ....... SAFE MODE?./ (from what i read)

ive searched for the last 2 days about this and i was wondering if anyone can give me some advise on what the heck is going on here /?
is it the transmission or transmission computer?

i have 97000 on the odo.....i also have 19"rims on

i dont know what to do >>>?:confused:

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VW says the fluid is lifetime :hmmm: but would i be getting all these symptoms cause of a tranny fluid change ?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
VW says the fluid is lifetime :hmmm: but would i be getting all these symptoms cause of a tranny fluid change ?
No, i was thinking it might be the lack of.
VW's lifetime fluids are a joke. Coolant needs to eb done 2-4yrs as well, BTW.
A tranny flush inculdes dropping the pan, which emans you cans ee if they'res any metal shavings on the magnets.
Note that many say the tranny fluid job is perhaps the hardest DIY job on teh passat. An indy should change 200-250, which given costs of the the fluid, is worth it

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Your problem is likely low or old fluid.

In any case, for future reference, if the transmission in a car starts to act funny, don't wait for it to go into "limp" mode, or worse, before doing something about it. Every one of those things you listed is a warning sign for transmission problems. Corrected early, they can be cheap, corrected late, repairs can be difficult or impossible.

SirWired

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
where can i get the transmission kit from? website
i searched and i could have swore i saw a link for a transmission kit .but cant find it now .?
transmission pan gasket ,filter and fluid .,

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
where can i get the transmission kit from? website
i searched and i could have swore i saw a link for a transmission kit .but cant find it now .?
transmission pan gasket ,filter and fluid .,
Are you going to DIY?
If not, just go to a reputable indie.
My shop charged me $225 for the whole job, which is very fair, IMHO.
Honestly, I wouldn't want to wait on this. Don't drive the car any further than the shop.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
note that if you drop the pan and there's a lot of metal on the magnets, its a good sign you're due for a new tranny.
If not (there will always be something on them), your fluid was prollyt just shot.
BTW, you need to bevery careful with this job . Overfill and you'll be just as boned as an unfill. Make sure you know the right temp. If you can get it done ~$200 its worth the saved hastle

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the offer 390..... but im going to bring it to the shop 1st to see what they say.
where is the TCU located?

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok i got the car on the VAG-COM today @ the tuning shop and there was not one code found on my car .. so the guy took it out for a test run and nothing happened so he suggested that i have the tranny fluid, filter, and gasket changed .... so i said that would be fine ...but when he told me that it would be $350 :icon_eek: ....i swolled my gum that i was chewing and started to cough ..... He told me that the tranny fluid was $25 each and that i need a minimum of 5-6($150) and the filter and gasket was about $70=
$220 for parts + $130 labor = grand total $350 ...........does that sound correct ? i could have swore that someone posted that the dealer charges $300 for this service ////.? what do you think i should do ?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts