Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003, 1.8t, AWM

I am thinking about installing a transmission fluid temperature (TFT) gauge. Can I tap on the TFT wire in the TCM harness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm curious, why do you want to monitor the temperature? Sorry, I have no idea if you can tap in the TCM harness and get the signal, maybe someone knows more on this. But I suppose you could put the sensor in through the pan.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The factory sensor, as well as the sensor provided with the Glowshift gauge, are thermistors, resistors whose resistance varies with temperature. The gauge (or TCM) puts a regulated voltage across the thermistor and effectively measures the current to determine temperature.

You can't tap another gauge in to the TCM sensor--it would completely screw up its reading. It would be like measuring resistance of a resistor with two ohmmeters simultaneously.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tomvw’s idea makes sense. It would be better to buy Bluetooth device than the gauge, which are about the same price.

Can anyone share their experiences with Bluetooth devices?

I have been reading about obd11. Has anyone used it?

RossTech interface is way expensive imo.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
The Ross Tech VCDS lite FREE version will read all codes and perform some other functions.
The registered VCDS lite which performs more functions only costs $99.00

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
Tomvw’s idea makes sense. It would be better to buy Bluetooth device than the gauge, which are about the same price.

Can anyone share their experiences with Bluetooth devices?

I have been reading about obd11. Has anyone used it?

RossTech interface is way expensive imo.

VCDS you would need a laptop for the $99 version or lite.

For iPhone, Carista works pretty good but you can't look at any sensors. you can use it with any cheap wifi ELM327 dongle. OBD car doctor should be able to pull up transmission temp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts