Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post this on checking ATF on my 04 wagon. I changed fluid, filter last year and apparently didn’t have car running when I filled since I had to pump 2.5 quarts in today. Like my last VW, the transmission shifts strange, seems to be a little better now, hopefully I didn’t do more damage being that low. Invented a fill tube by twisting mechanics wire together and putting inside tube to make hook on end. Adding couple pictures in case anyone not sure where plugs are.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Look at those flex joints, they're all one piece with no stainless braid frays.
Very nice.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the old rig is not bad underneath considering the part of the country I live in. Just wish other things would stop breaking. Should just park it and save for next winter, only reason I keep fixing it is so I don’t need to run my other car in the salt. Assume by what you said about flex joints that they can be a problem? I think the person that owned it before may have had exhaust work done on it.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Assume by what you said about flex joints that they can be a problem?
Common to have the stainless braiding ripped / frayed or completely pulled off one end.
Usually pulled off on the downpipe end from running stuff over on the road, railroad tracks, speed bumps and the like.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This car is very low to the ground for sure, barely get my lift arms under it. Im very careful where I drive it.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been shifting much better and then TCU just failed again. They have repaired twice, works great, then looses communication. Have pulled carpet, checked wires and plugs, sucks

·
Registered
82 Posts
What are tcu numbers. I have 02 or 03 2.8 4mo here heading for scrap. Tcu is good. I can send it out tomorrow if you get back soon. Ill dig it out right now and post a pic of it. Give had multiple failures of these of different cars.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just for kicks I bought a w8 once loosing signal the same way. If I started car it would never pick up tcm. If I started with it unplugged then plugged in once car was running it would work flawless until I shut it off. I drove that car with the tcm out on pass floor for weeks until I got a new one. I would just unplug, start, plug in, then go. New tcu was the ticket. Try that see if it picks up and puts the gears back up on dash.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will definitely try that because when it fails it always after I have run it, then when I re-start is when it fails. Here is a picture of mine, did lots of research and not sure difference between BA and AD. They say must be exact match and BA hard to find.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HaVe had my TCU out so many times I can do in 10 minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts