Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had an interesting and frustrating telephone call with VW of America concerning the recommended oil change interval for the automatic transmission. The car is a 2007 Passat with six speed automatic transmission with manual feature.
The car was purchased as a VW certified vehicle and came with a 75,000 mile extended warranty. The car now has 50,000 miles on the odometer. It was also purchased with the stated recommendation that the automatic transmission was a sealed unit, and never required fluid change.
VW now has changed its recommended transmission fluid change period for my car from never to every 40,000 miles. I have never received notification of this new policy. This is when the conversation with VW became a CUA situation for them. Their responses were extremely evasive and offered me a feeling of non-confidence. They claim the 40,000 mile recommended change was only a recommendation and an option for me. I asked if I refused a dealer recommendation for a fluid change would it void the warranty of the transmission. Their answer was, “it may”. I then tried to rationalize with VW that I purchased the car with the knowledge that I would never have to go through the expense of changing the transmission fluid and filter. I also suggested that they cover the cost of this service as I felt that it was their breach of their warranty. The dealership estimated the cost of a transmission service to be $350.
Perhaps I am the one that is irrational in believing that VW would accept responsibility.
By the way, this new VW policy covers all VW's with a recommended lifetime transmission fluid never needing changing. The new change periods depend on the model of ther transmission.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have just had an interesting and frustrating telephone call with VW of America concerning the recommended oil change interval for the automatic transmission. The car is a 2007 Passat with six speed automatic transmission with manual feature.
The car was purchased as a VW certified vehicle and came with a 75,000 mile extended warranty. The car now has 50,000 miles on the odometer. It was also purchased with the stated recommendation that the automatic transmission was a sealed unit, and never required fluid change.
VW now has changed its recommended transmission fluid change period for my car from never to every 40,000 miles. I have never received notification of this new policy. This is when the conversation with VW became a CUA situation for them. Their responses were extremely evasive and offered me a feeling of non-confidence. They claim the 40,000 mile recommended change was only a recommendation and an option for me. I asked if I refused a dealer recommendation for a fluid change would it void the warranty of the transmission. Their answer was, “it may”. I then tried to rationalize with VW that I purchased the car with the knowledge that I would never have to go through the expense of changing the transmission fluid and filter. I also suggested that they cover the cost of this service as I felt that it was their breach of their warranty. The dealership estimated the cost of a transmission service to be $350.
Perhaps I am the one that is irrational in believing that VW would accept responsibility.
By the way, this new VW policy covers all VW's with a recommended lifetime transmission fluid never needing changing. The new change periods depend on the model of ther transmission.
Ouch sorry to hear this. Is your car running a DSG transmission or a torque converter? If it's the latter can you DIY it?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. Filters and fluids are my responsibility. However, when you buy somthing and part of the sale claims that the device never requires maintenance, you feel screwed when they claim you will void your warranty unless you spend an additional unplanned $350.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I don’t agree...you know perfectly well when you buy a car NO fluid or filters are covered for free...I also know that NO fluid is lifetime, you take that responsibility on your own. To ask VW to cover that service is crazy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sorry to hear about your story there man. It seems strange but VW sort of messed up with their wording in their manuals or whatever they changed but failed to let customers know. Incidentally, I just called the stealership (2 wks ago) here in Albany to find out how much they charge to do the xmission fluid replaced and I think the guy said it was $199 or so and I've got 2007 auto as well (62K miles). I guess I should find another shop that can do it for cheaper.. anyone have suggestions? $99 sounds reasonable to me...The stealership is saying the car has to cool down before they can do it.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
i would worry about any shop that would only charge $99...fluid/filter alone cost that much. But hey, its your transmission.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tranny is a Triptronic 09G, and it does have a torque converter. Fluid change kits are readily available. However, there is a great disparity in the price of the kits. It is also apparent that all kits are not the same. Some are just a pan gasket and filter. Some have four litters of oil, some have six. An adapter tool is about $30. Fluid runs between $8 to 13 a liter. $350 seems fair if the job is properly done. Like the man said, $99 shouts don't trust me. As far as I am concerned VW has carefully mealy mouthed their recommended tranny oil change interval to cover their ass against a class action suite.
I love VW's. I have purchased five new different models, and three used VW models over the past 50 years. Policy and service have always been acceptable.This incident rubs me the wrong way.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
The tranny is a Triptronic 09G, and it does have a torque converter. Fluid change kits are readily available. However, there is a great disparity in the price of the kits. It is also apparent that all kits are not the same. Some are just a pan gasket and filter. Some have four litters of oil, some have six. An adapter tool is about $30. Fluid runs between $8 to 13 a liter. $350 seems fair if the job is properly done. Like the man said, $99 shouts don't trust me. As far as I am concerned VW has carefully mealy mouthed their recommended tranny oil change interval to cover their ass against a class action suite.
I love VW's. I have purchased five new different models, and three used VW models over the past 50 years. Policy and service have always been acceptable.This incident rubs me the wrong way.
wonder if the area they are rubbing you is between the legs.: )

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wrong! That rub would feel good. VW states that transmission fluid must meet spec VW G 055 025 A2. German made tranny oil that meets that spec are sky high in price. Mobile 3309ATF does meet that spec. I can buy a case of 12 quarts for $65.76 at Petroliance DBA AV Lubricants-Your ExxonMobil Oil Distributor! Has anyone had any experience with this oil.
The spec sheet on Mobile 3309ATF makes it sound a little better than wonderful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm really confused. I called all 6 VW dealers in the Dallas area, and every one said NOT to change fluid and filter on 09G trans. On each call I pressed them for why not, and they stood their ground....

Was there a tech service bulletin? How did VW notify you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some kind of conspiracy, as each dealer said "lifetime."

I'm buying my kit tomorrow. Will post what I find when I pull the pan.

Thanks, Dave.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I sympathise with you and agree however getting a company that size to do the right thing is never easy. I was recently bitten too. I left my 2012 Audi A8 for normal service and when I picked it up they told me the mechanic had checked the service book and the transmission fluid had never been changed. With 115,000 miles on it I thought it was a good idea as repairs or replacement of an 8 speed multi tronic box would not be cheap. I arranged to have it done a week later and was gob smacked that the cost was £680 GBP thats pounds sterling. Seems everything on that car is dear as 2 years ago they replaced the two front disk rotors and pads and that cost me £745.
The old maxim If you cant afford it don''t buy it sprang to mind :):):):)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts