Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would do the simple pan drop, filter change and refill. Yes, i know the arguments against, but here’s my reasoning:

1. If the tranny starts slipping with a bit of new fluid and filter, it was near death anyway and I can still try adding some friction modifier / fixit goop to improve it for its final days on earth.
2. ATF doesn’t build sludge like engine oil (if it hasn’t been overheated) it just gets more polluted by particles. A drain and refill doesn’t dislodge anything like a powered flush might.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
O.K. I remembered to bring pics of my fill set up and as I said (you) are more welcome to borrow it, I have two, one for the B6 (09G) and one for the B5 (0V1) , B5 has that recognizable "large plug" Some preliminaries, I highly recommend using Pentosin , and a filter kit from reputable supplier. As to bolts, I use brand new stainless bolts, not sure of size but believe they are 6mm X 12mm X 1mm pitch and washer. I get them from McMaster Carr (and no I am not a rep., ha!), the reason is quality, quantity pricing, and in stock quick delivery. Now here is my method....... I pull plugs and drain, drop pan. I take a measurement of how much fluid I got/drained out of system for future reference. Run a bottoming tap in holes to clean and blow out. Clean pan magnets ,reinstall new filter, double check all before buttoning up. I put in three long 6 mm bolts with heads cut off to align gasket/pan as I push it up and insert new bolts. I put in drain plug (small one) and the fill device in big hole (with the periscope/overflow). I now have one hose attached to fill device,new fluid reservoir or Schwaben style filler and initially fill tranny (valve open to fill side /hose ) with same amount I drained out as a starting reference point (assuming it was not overfilled to begin with which I highly doubt), this allows me with a little math to see how "low" my fluid was once I get more fluid in and at the factory specs. Turn the device valve to center position. Start car and bring up to temp. Go through D4321R (make sure rotors are bolted to hubs! and have a couple of washers so lug bolts do not hit strut assembly) Open valve to drain hose side on device/valve and see if anything significant amount of fluid comes out, if not swivel to fill position,add more (1/2 litre -1litre ) ,repeating process back and forth until you get a good amount out of the drain side after D1234R sequencing insuring you are filled, you might end up overfilling maybe at most a litre ,however now you will be filled to correct level and extraneous points (tranny cooler within radiator/hoses tube) are also filled. While running you now unscrew fill device (device valve is left in drain position) and install factory plug. IMG_20181203_085834.jpg

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
as a sidebar the one with the single hose is the 0V1 ,I actually (you use two hoses one fill the other drain) I just have only one attached in photo. I actually got "cute" and have a red for drain and a green for fill......thats what happens when you get old......overkill and over think,ha!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
oh, and as to math reference..... by taking all that was initially drained..................and subtracting what you put in new...............minus the lttle bit of overfill., you will be able to see if indeed the tranny is the problem or was considerably low in fluid

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
DON’T USE ANYTHING BUT Pentosin or ZF FLUID. MaxLife etc. will destroy it.
It may seem like I promote Maxlife ATF, although I have nothing to do with Valvoline at all. But having a cumulative family-mileage of around 400,000 using this fluid in three 5HP19's, I'm satisfied enough to recommend using it. But how exactly will Maxlife ATF destroy the transmission?

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Go through D4321R (make sure rotors are bolted to hubs! and have a couple of washers so lug bolts do not hit strut assembly) Open valve to drain hose side on device/valve and see if anything significant amount of fluid comes out, if not swivel to fill position,add more (1/2 litre -1litre ) ,repeating process back and forth until you get a good amount out of the drain side after D1234R sequencing insuring you are filled, you might end up overfilling maybe at most a litre ,however now you will be filled to correct level and extraneous points (tranny cooler within radiator/hoses tube) are also filled. While running you now unscrew fill device (device valve is left in drain position) and install factory plug.
Pretty creative setup! Now I see that when you said 'no spillage' you meant no mess, not that there would be no wasted fluid. I'm more lazy I guess. I just put a ladder next to the car, with a funnel/long vinyl hose mounted to it, and fit the hose end to the fill port (with a copper plumbing elbow to so it hooks onto the top of the fill tube). I then just pour the ATF into the funnel, then when it runs out into the drain receptacle under it, I clamp off the hose. Next start the engine, unclamp the hose and add more fluid until it again drips out. Shift N-R-N-D-N and check temp, if 35C to 45C, and fluid still dribbles out, put the plug in and shut it off.

There's no need to shift through every position D,4,3,2 because unless you rev it up so the gears shift, it will always be in 1st gear no matter the knob position.

·
Registered
83 Posts
.... I use two gallons of Valvoline MaxLife to double drain/refill to make sure I got the most of the old fluid out. After a couple of hours I noticed a leak from the missing bolt area. My indy charged me $95 to just put one bolt in place. After nearly two years the tranny has started slipping. It never shifted as normal again.....
Just to let you know, 01V transmission fluid capacity is 9.5 quarts. I personally don't have any experience with MaxLife fluid on a 01V trans, but I think they are different enough to make sure that I wouldn't want G052162 A# fluid to be mixed with it. So 8 quarts would not be enough to get all the diluted fluid out, especially draining and refilling only from the pan. I would imagine it would take double that, like 16 quarts, to make sure all the diluted fluid is out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
About draining, filter change and refilling...

As I stated on the above post, the 01v also known as ZF 5hp19 transmission has a fluid capacity of 9.5 quarts or 9 liters. My experience is dropping only the pan and letting it drain overnight gets about 5-6 quarts. There is still about 4 quarts left in the system. On any trans fluid replacement, I think it is important that all the old fluid needs to be removed. Flushing through the trans cooler lines would definitely get rid of all the fluid and I think that would require a shop to safely do that. So to do it myself, I end up doing multiple drain and refills before I actually remove the pan, clean the magnets and replace the filter. I go through quite a lot of fluid with this method, but I think it's the best way to go. Or else, your just contaminating your new fluid with old worn out stuff.

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
I changed the fluid on my son's B5 wagon 11 months after we bought it (almost 5 years ago with 147K) at around 160K on it and I used Maxlife. I also swapped in a newer torque converter and seal (after my manual swap). We bought the car with full records and there were no previous trans fluid services. Now he is over 220K and I will change it again when he comes home next summer. Car is shifting perfectly.

I also used Maxlife in my wife's 05 Golf 6 or so years ago and it's shifting great with about 62K on it.

Reactions: cchief22

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
It may seem like I promote Maxlife ATF, although I have nothing to do with Valvoline at all. But having a cumulative family-mileage of around 400,000 using this fluid in three 5HP19's, I'm satisfied enough to recommend using it. But how exactly will Maxlife ATF destroy the transmission?
I have heard and read stories of Maxlife causing problems for ZF transmissions. Could be purely coincidence. But, personally I would spend extra $50-$60 and use factory recommended fluid.I have had good results with Pentosin.

Piece of mind. :)

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
And there's nothing wrong with spending extra for Pentosin if it avoids worry. Heck, I use only Pentosin for my PS fluid, for basically the same reason- despite Prestone PS fluid, for instance, being far cheaper!

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,611 Posts
Just to let you know, 01V transmission fluid capacity is 9.5 quarts. I personally don't have any experience with MaxLife fluid on a 01V trans, but I think they are different enough to make sure that I wouldn't want G052162 A# fluid to be mixed with it. So 8 quarts would not be enough to get all the diluted fluid out, especially draining and refilling only from the pan. I would imagine it would take double that, like 16 quarts, to make sure all the diluted fluid is out.
I followed the exact drain/refill procedure each time. Basically, when it starts overfilling and dripping you need to stop. Not sure what you mean by "diluted fluid" but I don't believe you can pump 16 qrt ATF in that system.

·
2,611 Posts
And there's nothing wrong with spending extra for Pentosin if it avoids worry. Heck, I use only Pentosin for my PS fluid, for basically the same reason- despite Prestone PS fluid, for instance, being far cheaper!
But PS and Tranny are two different animals. The first time I changed ATF in my car was after 60K miles. I bought the fluid from VW stealership. After the change the tranny was shifting like a Black Velvet. The second time I changed the fluid about 120K miles and I used Valvoline Maxlife. Immediately after that my tranny shifting was never like before. Actually, I doubt if I now change it with OEM fluid anything goes better. May be the damage is already done. Who knows. Nevertheless, I'm gonna try and see what happens.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I followed the exact drain/refill procedure each time. Basically, when it starts overfilling and dripping you need to stop. Not sure what you mean by "diluted fluid" but I don't believe you can pump 16 qrt ATF in that system.
When I mean diluted fluid is that a single draining/dropping the pan only allows about 63% fluid replacement. That means 37% of the old fluid is still in the system and will mix with the new fluid. To really get all the fluid out via draining from the pan, you need several cycles of drain and refill. I am guessing you need cycle through 16 quarts of fluid to totally get clean new fluid in the system.

Using the trans lines to flush would actually use less fluid to get totally clean fluid in the system, because this procedure doesn't allow much of the old fluid to mix with the new.

·
2,611 Posts
When I mean diluted fluid is that a single draining/dropping the pan only allows about 63% fluid replacement. That means 37% of the old fluid is still in the system and will mix with the new fluid. To really get all the fluid out via draining from the pan, you need several cycles of drain and refill. I am guessing you need cycle through 16 quarts of fluid to totally get clean new fluid in the system. Using the trans lines to flush would actually use less fluid to get totally clean fluid in the system, because this procedure doesn't allow much of the old fluid to mix with the new.
If you do double drain like what I did you'll get more than 90% of the old fluid out. Tranny flush is a tedious and expensive maintenance if you don't have the special tool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our 2005 Passat 4 motion had the transmission fluid and filter changed at 100k miles. Lots of gunk in the pan. Transmission still shifts wel at 125k miles. Used VW OEM fluid. BTW lifetime fluid is just that. When the transmission fails that is end of life regardless of mileage.

·
2,611 Posts
Does anyone have a few (actually 3) extra tranny pan screws? I pay for the shipment. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have a stash somewhere, unless I gave them all away with my old tranny pan. Let me check tonight.

Sorry, but I don't have them anymore. They must have gone with the pan. I don't remember their exact size but I do remember they are T27 not T25, FWIW...

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
get the size (length) and I will send you a complete set of new stainless ones , I bought boxes of 6mm(s) of a couple different lengths that is why I ask

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
for some reason I think they are 12 mm OAL. PM me a pic of one with scale (ruler) or coin and I will figure it out,regards Chief

21 - 40 of 50 Posts