Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I live in Wisconsin Minnesota area and my transmission cooler lines rusted right at the curve at the bottom of the radiator and squished snow they're leaking I'm pretty sure it's both if not one my question is can I replace just the affected section of the steel line with rubber Hose and clamps?
This is the first time I've owned A VW

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,120 Posts
This is the new member section and for intros only. No Passat questions like this. What year do you have so I can move this to the correct area of the site as explained in the welcome post?

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the new member section and for intros only. No Passat questions like this. What year do you have so I can move this to the correct area of the site as explained in the welcome post?
2001 1.8L Turbo automatic

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
I would NOT patch the lines with rubber hose and clamps. Somebody once told what the pressure was on those lines but I can't remember now what that is.
At any rate, repairs must be made using same hard line and reinforced hose.
If you're on a budget, grab a set of used lines from a salvage yard. There are scads of Passat's up in WI.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
How fast are you looking to make this repair? I have at least (1) spare set of transmission lines somewhere in my hoard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How fast are you looking to make this repair? I have at least (1) spare set of transmission lines somewhere in my hoard.
........asap, and that's not soon enough. But, I bet you could find those long before I can get to the salvage yard and pray I find a decent set.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
I had 6 crates of Passat parts in storage up in the New Berlin / Waukesha area (along with everything else I own). I just had a semi load delivered to me this last Friday. I know at least one of the crates came down in this truck load. I'll get inside the semi trailer tonight and poke around and see what's up.

FYI
I do know for a fact that the ones I have are in excellent condition (as in no rust).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thank you.... for your time and knowledge. I'll keep an eye out for the outcome of your search. Please don't go out of your way.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Welp, unfortunately the transmission lines weren't in this crate. It'll probably be another 2 months before I see the rest of my stuff get shipped down here from WI.
I'm sorry about that.

Member @Tortelious is up there WI somewhere not to far away, maybe he can chime in on where to go for some good salvage parts.

·
Registered
28,965 Posts
The trans cooler is not under high pressure, it's much like the return line to the p/s in that it simply pushed fluid back to the reservoir. If you can cut and flare the tubing higher, you can run new trans lines. Be sure to use trans fluid approved hose and stainless clamps.

·
Registered
28,965 Posts
From what I have seen, they do look like the same-sized lines.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts