Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
When this happened to me, I spoke with a VW Master Mechanic. His exact words to me were "Part numbers MUST match" no exceptions. Take it for what it's worth but why risk it?

I was lucky enough to find my replacement TCM on E-bay. I've also found used part stores (some online) that were selling them. Junk yards have had them too. It may take some time, digging, and a lot of phone calls till you get your hands on one. But trust me, it's much easier than forking over the $1300 to VW. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
It’s too bad that we can no longer get the reimbursement from VWGoA for new TCM replacement after July 26, 2010 due to the settlement on class action lawsuit for water damage on Passat. Heck we can’t even sue the VWGoA on this issue unless you excluded yourself from the settlement before June 15, 2010. But it may still worth the try to call Customer Care of VWGoA concerning the TCM issue even though the chances of getting any help from VWoA are almost zero.

Details on Class Action Lawsuit for Water Damage

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just replaced my TCM yesterday

I had some bad water issues and ended up in limp mode for a month or so. It was an easy fix. Here are a few resource web pages that may help: First fix the water problems by downloading Passat P9 Recall.pdf. It looks like a sketchy download but it's not. Then to TMC Removal. I took it out, dried it up, dried the area, took a picture of the TMC so I had all the numbers and stuck it back in (still didn't work), found 5 compatible TCMs on ebay, ordered one for $195.00 with a good return policy, got it in 4 days, stuck it in and now I'm back to normal. I didn't even have to take the seat all the way out. Thank you all for posting here, you guys gave me the confidence to do it. Saved me time, money, and headaches. ~Cheers

·
Registered
145 Posts
I purchased mine off of eBay for my 2003 Passat 4Motion including a good harness Go to eBay :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Don will need exact numbers off of your TCM to match it to yours...Search Passat TCM on eBay... Now finishing drying out car so I can bag it or remount below glove box instead of in Passat fish tank...Also will check all the drains and Plenum seal and drain

·
Registered
145 Posts
I replaced corroded connectors , and installed used TCM car now runs great with no codes and all gears and tiptronic works as well... Waiting for carpets to dry 100% as I now have charcoal briquets to soak up residual moisture as well as smells as I washed under carpet pads with lysol and water to prevent mold as well as sprinkled under carpets with arm and hammer and carpet cleaner powder to absorb all smells...Now have completed P9 drain tube recall and will reseal plenum and pollen filter areas to complete recall.. Printed out and submitted receipts to Class Action Law Suit Group for reimbursement of all costs to date as there is 8 Million Dollars being held in escrow for all people that were affected by this poor design from VW... Now deciding on where to remount replacement TCM as I have double bagged it to prevent moisture from ever getting into it with a few desicant packs just in case as I don't think I will reinstall under passenger side carpet... Next step is to move CCM as well from drivers side as well as double bagging and water proofing it again due to VW Poor Engineering design.......

SITE FOR PASSAT P9 RECALL INFORMATION AND DIRECTIONS :
http://www.mediafire.com/?ozd5fewumjm

SITE FOR CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT MONEY RECOVERY :
https://wateringresssettlement.com/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a thought as I am about to undergo the same project in a99 passat. There is no law that says because VW puit it in a stupid place, I have to put it back there. I am going to look into mounting it up under the seat. not sure I have enough slack and havent looked at it yet but I am going to drill drains or whatever it takes to keep this thing dry I have read over 200 stories of exact same problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
pulled tcm looks dry and appears fine but if anyone has a reliable one available let me know. If you post it under the thread "dropping the pan still need help" I will immediately get an e mail notification. Part No. is 8D0 927 156 BM. I am going to pursue the solenoid for now but I would be interested in one if the price is right. I found one online for 150$ but the one I have may be better for all I know about it. ALL of the numbers on this part are exactly alike except for the very bottom # under the bottom bar code. I assume that is because each unit has to be identified individually but I am still a little nervous because everyone says it has to be identical?? The large top number is 8D0 927 156 BM
Match: then ZF 6058 006 047. Match: next is 0 260 002 444 GS8.33.2 MATCH AGAIN: and 006 776G8508 MATCH as well!
The bottom # on mine is Gccc29980574 then made in Germany 867 the used one is
Gccc40981614 made in Germany869.
ANYONE Know if this is ok?

·
Registered
145 Posts
When I pulled my pollen filter out and holder I found that when dealer did recall that they did not put an even coat of sealant around unit as well as folded sponge rubber seal over itself which allowed the water ingress....At least they pulled the drain out from under the battery... I found the replacement stick on foam as needed at my local Lowe's Home Center and they always keep it in stock : Frost King 10'L x 1/2"W Black Rubber Foam Tape Weather Strip Item #: 31951 | Model #: R930H and only paid $3.82... I double sealed both the body and pollen filter housing with hd silicone bathroom sealant as it has an anti fungal/mildew agent in it ....

I'm now on my third refill of DampRid as you can buy refills for the tubs at Lowes ...First 2 tubs are $5.75 for the pair and really pull out all the remaining moisture that was left in the car...The refill is easy to use as you throw out the damp solid block and dump out water and refill as they sell it in a bag to refill...I also purchased some desicant packs off of eBay and placed them into first bag with TCM I then pulled rubber boot up the harness and taped the bags shut with electrical tape going all the way up the harness then slid boot back into position I am now trying to decide where to relocate the TCM and case to as I don't want to deal with this lousey design fault ever happening again...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_2538-994-FG6...t=damp+rid

·
Registered
9 Posts
A quick techie tip. If tranny problems are an overnight issue, check the TCM for water intrusion. Remove the module from the plastic case and unplug the harness. Spray electrical cleaner or brake cleaner on the contacts and blow dry. Shake any excess water out of the modume and put in an oven set at 125 deg on a tray lined with parchment. Leave it there for at least 2 hours. Reinstall and road test. This has worked for me on 2 different passat's now. I have relocated the module.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@oldmedic you give me hope. Two questions. Do you have pics of where and how you relocated tcm? And I see in your tip you set the oven to 125 degrees. You are in Canada; does that mean you are referring to Celcius? That would make the oven setting at 250 degrees Fahrenheit? My TCM might already be toast, but I don't want to fry it. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
lowest setting on the oven. with the lowest setting you are hoping to evaporate the water

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update. I disconnected the negative cable on the battery and then removed the TCM. After spraying the contacts with electronics cleaner, I decided to remove the metal cover. (this may not be necessary. The tabs on the case look like they could crack or snap off, especially during reassembly) I carefully cleaned off any oxidation while avoiding touching the board or components with my fingers. Knowing that the more I cleaned, the more I risked damage to the board, I stopped. The final step was to dry out the board. I preheated the oven to its lowest setting and then turned it off and allowed the temp to drop to 125F before placing the TCM inside on a baking sheet with parchment paper. I repeated 2 or 3 times. I let it sit out overnight before reassembly and testing. In the morning, I reinstalled the TCM, reconnected the battery and started the engine. Immediately the limp mode indicator was back to normal and after several restarts, the CEL reset and went out.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
3 Posts
A quick techie tip. If tranny problems are an overnight issue, check the TCM for water intrusion. Remove the module from the plastic case and unplug the harness. Spray electrical cleaner or brake cleaner on the contacts and blow dry. Shake any excess water out of the modume and put in an oven set at 125 deg on a tray lined with parchment. Leave it there for at least 2 hours. Reinstall and road test. This has worked for me on 2 different passat's now. I have relocated the module.
AWESOME TIP!!!! That word is much overused these days...but I consider anything that can save me anywhere from $1300 to $3000 to be nothing less. Caution to DIYer's! This process is NOT for the faint of heart! Having chased electrons for over 40 years, I had no fear of actually unmasking the circuit board on the flooded TCM and making SURE it was dry. Double-bagged it, wet-vacced everything as good as I could, had the car back on the road running smooth in about 3 hours total time. *I used a hair-drier instead of the oven----BUT!!! If you try this, you have to know what you're doing. A hair-drier can actually MELT Solder if used improperly. Basically, if you just shake the daylights out of the uncovered board and blow air into the connector to get any residual water out, you should be good. I estimate the thing was only under water for maybe 24 hours and not driven more than about 20 miles. Longer exposure to water and/or miles driven with the TCM shorted/shorting can cause more damage!!! I GOT REAL LUCKY! and I know that. BUT! I'm always for the "cheap fix first..."

·
Registered
9 Posts
First off, I want t say thank you, just replaced my TCM on my 2000 Passat 1.8T GLS and the information on this site was spot on and saved me a ton of money, so thank you guys. Replaced the TCM matching all part number exactly, car is running great, had Airbag Light and Fault message pop up and CEL with Emissions Workshop message, but the CEL reset itself after a few restarts, still stuck with the airbag fault though, I realize this will not go away on its own. I have inspection due this month, was wondering if there was a fuse I could pull just to get through inspection or what options do I have to avoid paying a mechanic to "diagnose" the car and tell me to replace the sensor when it just needs resetting? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have replaced the tcm and the car is still in going into limp mode. Does anyone have any ideas what else copuld be causing this. This has been going on for over 3 months and it is getting rather old. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts