Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been finding great information on this forum for a few years, but now I need some help. I know many of you are very knowledgeable and I'm sure can provide me with the the info I need.

Recently, my wife's car (2002 1.8T) suffered a water intrusion from clogged sunroof drains (not uncommon from what I've read). Of course this has led to various malfunctions, warning lights, and transmission locking into emergency mode while driving down the road. We took the car to VW and they have traced the problem to the TCM. I was informed this will be a $1550 repair. Although I think this is a horrible design flaw with the car not to mention there's nothing written in the manual about routine maintenance of these drains, I don't want to try to fight this with VW. We need her car operational asap and don't want to go through another battle (In 2006, we had to have the engine replaced due to a sludge build up) with them.

I've decided to take it upon myself to try to repair this on my own. I'm not the most savy mechanical person but I have common sense and can follow directions. I located and purchased a used TCM for $300. I know where the TCM is located in the car and more or less how it's installed. What I need to know is if the module is "plug and play". In other words, can I unhook the water logged one and plug this one right in and be ready to drive? Or does it need electronic adjustments and settings? I've read many of you talk about using the vag-com which I don't have nor be able to purchase. Is there anything important or special I need to know about replacing this module.

I would truly appreciate help, advise, or knowledge about this that any of you could share with me. Thank you!

·
Registered
318 Posts
All I know is the dealer had to replace my 2002 TCM last year when they botched a updated reflash of the unit. They said the TCM has to be coded to the car although I don't know if this would still be true with a used TCM. I'm almost sure some type of coding is involved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
************** UPDATE ***************

Installed used TCM today and car is running fine. No coding needed and so far, and it does not appear that and adaptation for shift quality will be needed either. Check engine light is still on and I assume it will clear itself out, eventually.

For reference if this has happened to you: my car is 02 1.8T. Used TCM came out of an 03 1.8T. Part number was exactly the same. I was told by a master tech that when replacing this part, it must be identical, no and's, if's, or but's about it. TCM is located in the passenger side floor board inside a black plastic housing (supposed to be water proof but far from it). Little bit of a pain in the @ss to get to. Kick panel and carpet retainers removed easily. But the trim piece that runs along the bottom edge of car at the door and over the seat belt mechanism is difficult. I was never able to remove it and I broke a clip in trying to get it off. If you've had a water intrusion, make sure you fully dry out the carpet and padding underneath completely before replacing. My water intrusion happened a month ago and until yesterday, was still soaked. Padding is as absorbent as a freaking Sham-Wow! I rigged up a high powered carpet fan and ran it for about 6 hours to dry it out. Good idea to take photos while you do this project so you can reference them if needed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out. I never saw in the original post if you ever had the recalls performed for the cowl and sunroof drains. All it amounts to is snipping off the hose ends where it drains at the door jams, at least for the sunroof that is.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Did you bag it??

I was able to find a used TCM for my '00 Passat V6 Tip after a minor flood. You are right, the part numbers have to be exact expecially since my car comes also in a 4 wheel drive. The old TCM was slipping into SAFE mode and gave an airbag fault light.

If you find a TCM with default settings, then you dont need to reprogram with VAGCOM. I changed my defaut to sports mode. So in theory, if I sell my TCM to another owner, when will need to change settings back.

I also replace my CCM which is located under the driver's footwell.

I've double plastic bagged both units incase I get a flood again. Its in a poor spot and bad design. I need to protect my computer. My TCM was completely submerged in water. While finding a used TCM wasnt too hard, finding one 100% error free was tough. It may look nice and brand new, but there still could be water damage at one point and the junk yards cannot check for error codes. Its nothing more then a computer card inside a rust-proof box. I'm guess that 1/2 of all the TCM at junkyards had some form of water exposure. The TCM does get warm, but I dont think it gets hot.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Did you bag it??

I was able to find a used TCM for my '00 Passat V6 Tip after a minor flood. You are right, the part numbers have to be exact expecially since my car comes also in a 4 wheel drive. The old TCM was slipping into SAFE mode and gave an airbag fault light.

If you find a TCM with default settings, then you dont need to reprogram with VAGCOM. I changed my defaut to sports mode. So in theory, if I sell my TCM to another owner, when will need to change settings back.

I also replace my CCM which is located under the driver's footwell.

I've double plastic bagged both units incase I get a flood again. Its in a poor spot and bad design. I need to protect my computer. My TCM was completely submerged in water. While finding a used TCM wasnt too hard, finding one 100% error free was tough. It may look nice and brand new, but there still could be water damage at one point and the junk yards cannot check for error codes. Its nothing more then a computer card inside a rust-proof box. I'm guess that 1/2 of all the TCM at junkyards had some form of water exposure. The TCM does get warm, but I dont think it gets hot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Afterburner: Once I figured out where the water came from, I cut the hose ends in the door jamb immediately and blew the drains out with a co2 cartridge. It would have been nice if VW had recognized this was a recall before now. They scratched their heads when I asked them about it and why it wasn't done. They're telling me that the cowl was done though. I don't know how to verify it on my own. Not sure what to look for.

Mikel212: You know, I've been trying to figure out what I could do to prevent water from getting in there again. I didn't think about wrapping it in some kind of bag. I figured with so many smaller wires in the cable running to the TCM box, water is going to find a way in there. I've thought about siliconing the hell out of everything, wires, box, all of it. Not sure how well that would work.

But I agree, this is a horrible design. I'm surprised VW would put such a critical component into a floor board. I mean really, the number one damage that happens to cars (all cars) is water intrusion. And the fact that these parts are over $1000 makes it even more ridiculous.

Seems like my problems are never ending. Yesterday, the CEL came. PO411 Secondary Air Injection System. What the hell is this? I need to enroll in mechanics school. At least I could start getting paid for all the work I'm doing.

I must say that I miss the days of my air-cooled bug. No matter what happened to that thing, I could fix it, and cheaply too. Now, the average Joe has to grab his ankles and pray he doesn't get raped by the dealer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I double bagged it

I first put the computer unit in a a long narrow bag (like a wonder bread bag) and wrap it including the harnest and wires all the way to the mounting clips on the side of the passenger footwell(way above the computer compartment). I then put the CPU unit in the plastic hard case, and the bag made the seal even tighter. I then put the entire hard case in a zip lock bag and electrical tapped any gaps in the opening.

I knew that it had to survive a full water submergence. My first TCM was fully submerged in water to the point it was sloching in it. I've been lucky and kept the battery compartment clean and all drain tubes clear. I also did the same with the CCM unit located below the driver side footwell.

I wonder if a good mod is to drill a hole at the lowest level of the computer compartment and attach a plug where it cant hold water, while preventing any water from getting in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tcm

Hi all, trying to locate the exact position of my TCM. I have a 98 Passat and just found out it needs to be change, after reading these post sounds easy enough to do it myself and save quit a bit.

·
Registered
27,762 Posts
It's under the passenger side front carpet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
there is a class action lawsuit going on that involves stuff caused due to the drain problem

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
Related Damage:

When you get enough water intrusion to soak the CCM or TCM, the harness going to the module will also get wet. Factory splices in the harness can corrode and fail. To inspect the harness you'll need to unwrap it and closely inspect each wire and splice. Sometimes the module itself will survive the water, but a splice in the harness will fail and cause all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
27,762 Posts
Are there splices in the TCM harness? I've heard plenty about the CCM harness, but not the TCM.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
Are there splices in the TCM harness? I've heard plenty about the CCM harness, but not the TCM.
That's a good question. I don't know for sure and just assumed there were. The point of my post was to let people know to inspect the harness's before buying replacement modules they may not need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
98 Passat 1.8T auto with audi A4 engine 1.8T Trans not shifting into 5th

I have a 98 Passat with 145,xxxx and the Audi A4 engine i placed was to replace my original with blown valves and pistons.

When I had the original engine the issue with the LCD display not showing me the gears and not shifting into 5th and clacking happened to me for 4 months and then out of nowhere the lcd display showed the gears and the 5th gear was working but then it happened again a month before the engine went out.

I placed a 99 Audi A4 1.8T engine with 65k my mechanic replaced the engines computer and the transmission computer,i hope.... the first week the car was running fine and the 5th gear was engaging, but then the LCD went out and the 5th is not going no more.

Now my questions are:

Can i disconnect the module and reconnect to see if it helps?

Is there a way i can reprogram myself?

can i take it to a mechanic that knows what he is doing besides VW dealer?

Do i need a Audi A4 module?

Just to not deal with all this crap can i replace the trans with a 6 or 5 MANUAL ?:driving:

PLEASE HELP GUYS IM ABOUT TO BLOW THE CAR UP!

·
Registered
27,762 Posts
Sounds like the trans is in limp mode. You can have it scanned to see what is wrong. No need for an Audi module, it's the same as long as the part numbers match.

As for a trans swap, it has been done by several owners on here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is there a certain year range I should stick with so I can replace the module???

also i don't know how to reprogram the module, or what i have to do. I have heard something about VAGCOM, but i dont know what that is either. If it's a tool, can i buy it and do the programing myself fairly easy???

I started my car and drove to get some food, on the way there the LCD display for the gears didnt show up and the car was doing the usual. once I came out of the food joint and started the car I noticed the LCD display came on and what's funny the car now is shifting properly and now i have my 5th gear.....what's going on? Please help because i want it fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you, waborat, for your detailed description for replacing the TCM. I went through the same exact problem that you experienced, ended up installing a used TCM with the exact part number, and the car works fine now. You saved me $1300, and I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where is the TCM on a Beetle

Does anyone know where I can locate the TCM on a Beetle. Our mechanic said that it needs a new one we have to have the product number.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tcm discussion

This thread is a great find. I too am stuck with a flooded tcm. Have a 2002 Passat wagon 4Motion. Currently still running with the TCM which means our gears shift with a thud. Need to find and replace with a new TCM myself, any suggestions WHERE to find one?
And what the part number options are?
I've heard mixed opinions as to whether I need the exact part number or not, and I don't trust the car dealership to give me any answer that doesn't help them get me into there shop to drop the $1300.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 47 Posts