Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, there you go, I've left the B5 wagon behind, courtesy an *blankityblankblanky* in a 2000 Dodge stratus who did not stop at a stop sign, which destroyed the old B5 Wagon, *sniff*sniff*.
The new '07 Wagon is doing okay, but the power trunk is wonky and the airbag light is on. Pics of ex-b5 wagon: https://goo.gl/photos/pLM34PMJ6Vh2C7m97

Anyway, I have left the verdant PNW / Portland OR area/Vancouver Washington behind, and I am now here in Boston - Dorchester specifically.

Last good picture of the two wagons..
IMG_20150331_174040.jpg

So where do I go to get stuff done in Boston?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bored bored bored.
just got new tires, pirelli cinturato p7 plus... because the cooper zeon rs3-a are noisy noisy noisy and too worn.
new wiper blades - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G47GE6 - which was super easy with the 'put wipers in maintence mode' aka, insert key to accessory position, remove key, then press down on the wiper control stock once, then about 45 seconds later both front wipers were replaced. nice.
left front wheel bearing replaced at Quirk VW in Quincy. because I'm in an apartment and my tools are in storage.
At least their shuttle is close to the T, sorta.
front passenger airbag fault appears fixed - I think QuirkVW did it -without telling me that they did it. But they tried to sell me a new seat bottom for $1800 to get it fixed, needless to say I told them "no" -and yet.. it is no longer a problem. And I checked the seat and it looks like someone ran the TSB.

So aside power trunk being broken, and from one scratch on right rear(thank you random Masshole in parking lot), the car is in perfect shape inside and out.
Only $3500 in maintenance and repairs this year, at least I have paid it off entirely.
Will it last through the winter?

Supposedly the '08 power rear wagon trunk motors are better than the '06/'07 trunk motors.
Is it possible to retrofit the newer style motors on the older vehicle ('07)? my next quest..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't know if you can retrofit an 07 with 08 trunk button but my 08 has 178,000 on it and the button still works flawlessly. Been researching the pirrelli p7 you put on and am thinking of putting them on too. The Conti purecontacts were a letdown....70,000 mi tire that are worn out at 39k. Tough break. Had Michelin Pilots on my old B5 that were outstanding, wish I still had that wagon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I have found so far the '07 cannot be retrofited with '08 motors, but there is still work to be done. Some day, some poor '08 parts car will donate it's rear trunk motors so that I might find that answer.. . some day.
But others have suggested that it is easier/better to just plain disconnect the rear trunk motors entirely, so I'll probably do that and put new struts until such a time as I can get the '08 donor parts. :|

The Cinturatos have been fantastic so far, no complaints about the Tires. Nice and quiet.
BUT now my front struts are giving out.. I think they struts were old/original and they were fine, but all the pot-holes and huge speed bumps just were too much, and now they make a crazy amount of noise.

Next up, new struts + strut mounts...

sigh... this car is getting to be even more expensive than I anticipated or budgeted for. :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update back in April moved to Barrington, Rhode Island..
on the bright side, asided from a failed (one of six) o2 sensor.. nothing has gone wrong with the car recently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts