Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats poppin,

Today i decided to do a trans flush on a 98 passat tip trans.
I drop the trans pan , cleaned and replaced the filter.
Started to top off pan with fluid, when i noticed the pan almost full.
I started the car, let it warm up while keeping my eye on Vag-Com. Shifted the through the gears, and the fluid started to drop... Kept on adding trans fluid, 3 liters... 4 liters, 5 liters.. :mad:

And it still askes for more.

Am i missing something, I thought that the initial fill is 2.7 to 3 liters... why is it taking 5 +.

Can the torque converter be empty ? Is that why i would get a grinding noise on cold start?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Did you keep track of how much fluid came out? I think the quoted 2.7 liters is from a simple drain and fill.. Since you dropped the pan and cleaned the filter it should be a bit more. (but not that much more)

BTW, the torque converter is always full.. not even an air bubble should be present

Did you add fluid till it overflowed through the fill hole? If theres no obvious leaks, just keep adding fluid.. (yeah I know its liquid gold)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
F. Monger said:
Did you keep track of how much fluid came out? I think the quoted 2.7 liters is from a simple drain and fill.. Since you dropped the pan and cleaned the filter it should be a bit more. (but not that much more)

BTW, the torque converter is always full.. not even an air bubble should be present

Did you add fluid till it overflowed through the fill hole? If theres no obvious leaks, just keep adding fluid.. (yeah I know its liquid gold)
I keep track on the fluid that dropped, and even the fluid that droped out when removing the filter...
Its just strange that im on the 6th (actual 5.5 liter) and at the car at 90F (trans temp.) there is no sign of dripping out of the fill.

I stick my finger in there, and its dry. :crazy:

Very strange... :crazy:

Im going to get another 6 liters tomorrow at dealer , and add more tomorrow... if good weather.

Ill follow up...

any exprienced fluid changers out there, that has any suggestions or comments..

John

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
IIRC it takes 3-4 qts for simple drain and fill, 6 qts if you drop the pan and change the filter.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I did it on Saturday to V6 Tip. 3liters +0.75 lit. for main gear, changed filter and 2 new sealings (must be done after removing pan). Are you sure you did everything right?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nenad said:
I did it on Saturday to V6 Tip. 3liters +0.75 lit. for main gear, changed filter and 2 new sealings (must be done after removing pan). Are you sure you did everything right?

What two new seals are you talking about , is it the pan gasket and the filter gasket. or the drain and fill/check plugs?

**** Picked up another 6 liters from Volks dealer.
Went home, and started to warm up the passat. When it hit 30 - 32 degrees C.
I open up the fill/check plug and noticed it low again.
I tried to put the hose into the fill hole, when i popped the plastic cover inside the trans,
:cry: :mad: motha fu******

i removed the pan , " again" :cry:

installed the plastic cover on the pan , and started to fill it up.
It took a bit more then 3 liters, with engine off.
i started the engine , and proceeded with filling it.

it took another 2 liters... but this time , i checked the temp of the trans, and it was at 32- 34 degree C

as it poured out i pluged it...
will drive the car for a couple days, and recheck it again.

Is the temp suppose to be at 30 C or higher when checking?

" i should of never touched it" SIKE!!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
This is what it says in the bentley..

ATF, replacing

Conditions for performing check:

- All electrical consumers must be switched off

-Transmission is not in emergency running mode, ATF temperature is not above approx. 30C

- Vehicle level

- Selector lever at "P"

The oil drain plug and seal must be replaced.

- Switch off engine.

- Secure reservoir of ATF filling system VAG 1924 to vehicle.
- Raise vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

37-150

- Remove noise insulation tray -arrows-.
- Place drip tray VAG 1306 underneath.

- Remove drain plug -arrow 1-.
- Drain ATF.
- Tighten new drain plug -arrow 1- Page 38-7 , 1 -Drain plug.
- Remove ATF inspection plug -arrow 2-.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

37-151

- Guide VAG 1924 in through an opening -arrow- in the deflector cap, taking care not to push the deflector cap upward out of position.
- Fill with ATF until ATF comes out of inspection hole.
- Shift selector lever into "P" position.
- Start engine.
- Press brake pedal.
- Shift through all selector lever positions with vehicle stationary, leaving selector lever in each position for about 10 seconds.
- Shift selector lever into "P" position.
- Check and top up ATF level Page 37-138 .

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
F. Monger said:
-Transmission is not in emergency running mode, ATF temperature is not above approx. 30C
Doesn't this mean the transmission can be cold when the fluid level is checked? Is there a minimum temperature listed somewhere? That line implies that the main concern is to not under fill the transmission, which could occur if the fluid is too hot when the fill/level-check plug is removed.

Just how sensitive can the transmission be to over fills anyway? Given the air volume above the top of the overflow tube, and if one assumes a reasonable thermal expansion coefficient for the fluid, I can't see how it is possible to over fill. So, why not just set the level when the car is at room temperature?

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Your correct... but think about it. 30C is only 86F... not too high.

It takes a very short time for the tranny fluid to get to that. Many times that IS ambient temp, so they are just making sure you get it done quick, and make sure you let it drop, If you have to redo the top off. In short, no there is no low temp limit.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Got it! The idea of checking temperature is not to see that the transmission has warmed up to a certain level. Rather, it is to be sure that it has not gotten too warm during the time operating, shifting through the gears, etc. Seems the thing to do, if someone wanted to do this without a temperature measurement, would be to let it sit for a couple hours, after cycling through the gears, before doing the final fluid level check.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Regarding capacity... has anyone drained the cooler in the radiator, as part of the drain?

There are two oil lines that run up to the cooler in the radiator.

Anyways, there is a procedure to clear these lines using compressed air in the Bentley. Anyone included that in their tranny maintainance? I intend to at my 60k change.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have the CD version of Bentley...

But still confused....

at this point , the way i did it i have inserted 6 liters at 30C.
so if i place the car now on a level ground.... wait until it cools below 30C...
and then open up the trans (fill/check plug) see if it is overfill.

Does the motor have to be running at the moment while checking or completely stopped.

i would assume in Park , right....

:???:

Im probably making a big deal out of nothing.... sorry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
vteccured
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing