Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planning on putting on a tip trans cooler, any pics of your install....

where did you mount it , what trans pipes/hose did you tap in...
where and which did you purchase it?

trying to get some insight from the guys that have done this before

peace, John

·
Registered
646 Posts
Trans cooler

Whats up bro. I have one mounted I can tell you what you have to do. Just shoot me a pm. Overall price less than $75

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump:::::

i shot you a PM b5car, have not heard from you... probably busy,

just wondering where you tapped to, and where you bought this trans cooler kit

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone help me with this project :???:

What trans cooler kit did you use, and how did you mount and install the kit????

GOT INFO????

·
Registered
628 Posts
Femi and B5Car both had this mod. Femi is no longer around but his posts are..http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21454&highlight=

B5Car will get back to you sooner or later... He's a really nice guy. Met him and a couple of his buddies a couple of months ago in a DD parking lot in NJ. It actually turned out to be an unexpected mini GTG. :bow:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Femi didn't use a "kit". He used a Fluidyne FHP 10029 tranny cooler (available at Summit) and he said that the rest of the parts were easy and available from Home Depot... (I PM'd him once about his cooler).

A more complete description would be useful. I've seen complete kits at NAPA for about $80 - they just tap into one of the tranny lines (I forget which one) so that you're using both the factory cooling and the new unit in tandem. They also supply alternate instructions for completely bypassing the factory cooling, but recommend a larger cooler if you do so.

·
Registered
26,781 Posts
Most part stores carry aftermarket kits. They are easy to install,you remove the
hose to the stock trans cooler and add in the aftermarket one.

I would run it before the stock cooler,as it will keep the temp more consistent.

The only question is where to mount it. If you have a FMIC,I would mount it in the
stock SMIC location. Otherwise the front of the a/c condensor will have to do.

I did add one to my wife's car due to constant overheating (Taurus),it works great.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Rusty said:
Femi didn't use a "kit". He used a Fluidyne FHP 10029 tranny cooler (available at Summit) and he said that the rest of the parts were easy and available from Home Depot... (I PM'd him once about his cooler).

A more complete description would be useful. I've seen complete kits at NAPA for about $80 - they just tap into one of the tranny lines (I forget which one) so that you're using both the factory cooling and the new unit in tandem. They also supply alternate instructions for completely bypassing the factory cooling, but recommend a larger cooler if you do so.

Rusty you sure its not PN 10026?? wondering cuz im looking into it now...

james

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
PZ said:
Most part stores carry aftermarket kits. They are easy to install,you remove the
hose to the stock trans cooler and add in the aftermarket one.

I would run it before the stock cooler,as it will keep the temp more consistent.

The only question is where to mount it. If you have a FMIC,I would mount it in the
stock SMIC location. Otherwise the front of the a/c condensor will have to do.

I did add one to my wife's car due to constant overheating (Taurus),it works great.
femi mounted his in the right front of the radiator (assuming you're looking at the car from the front). it's a smaller unit, and it works in conjunction with the stock cooling.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I need to do this soon, definitely before summer, since I've started towing a popup with the Passat. I'd really like to know what is needed in terms of fittings (might even have custom hoses made) such that I don't have to go try and find certain size fittings in the middle of the installation. I've been looking at a B&M/Long/TruCool stacked plate design.

Here's a good thread on BITOG about coolers in general...

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=001350

I had previously read recommendations to plumb the cooler before the stock cooler but in the thread above there are multiple recommendations to put it after the stock cooler if you get one of the designs that has a bypass in it for cold/thick fluid.

Another recommendation from BITOG was for...

http://www.bulkpart.com

They do seem to have pretty good prices and they sell Magnefine inline filters which I've seen recommended numerous times for ATF and power steering systems. I'll probably put one in each system when I do the tranny cooler install.

Matt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts