Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2000 Passat. Its got 59k miles and a manual transmission. the 2-3 shift is starting to grind if I shift higher than 3000 rpm, all other gears shift fine. Any idea whats causing this? I push the clutch all the way to the ground and it still grinds from 2nd to 3rd.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
sounds like the third gear synchro, my corrado has that problem, but only with shifts like 5500 or above. i switched fluids to redline mt-90 and mtl in the winter, and the problem went away. but yours sounds slightly more severe.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
sorry to hyjack

if the synchro is going bad when the switching and you hear the grinding, cant you do what people did before synchros, lift the clutch up so that the clutch starts to engadge or spin and then depress the clutch and put the car in gear like normal.

i would assume that a bad synchro would act like no synchro at all, so the old method of shifting gears should work just fine. :???:

·
Registered
68 Posts
ummm..... double-clutching in a 2000 model year car, ghetto!!! the only double-clutching vehicle I've ever seen is a World War II Dodge army command car that my fam. has. I hope you get this issue resolved under warranty.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
make sure that there isn't a special procedure to check the level, some fluids have to be cold, some have to be hot to get the correct reading, im sure you know that already, but just making sure

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pancreas, I would go to the dealer and pony up for their hydraulic fluid, it's not that expensive. Especially if you are going to take it in for warranty work later.

MAD

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
There is no "clutch fluid" resevoir. The clutch feeds off of the braking system. If your brake resevoir is low, fill it to the line w/ DOT 4+ (NOT 5, 4+ refers to a specific grade).

SirWired

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'd imagine that it would be expensive to have the manual tranny rebuilt at the dealership. That is what stopped me from doing that repair. Does anyone know what the cost of this repair would be?

I have the same 2 into 3rd gear grinding noise. I would shift my car into 4th and back into 3rd so that I wouldnt get any noise.

I have heard that changing the manual tranny fluid for some new or better ones may help.

Anyone else with suggestions?

Thanks,
al

·
Registered
718 Posts
from my experience and from what I've heard from others, the factory gear oil is about as good as your gonna get, especially in colder climates. I have royal purple in mine, and its slightly stiffer and more resistant to going into gear when cold than it was with the factory stuff. I've heard much the same about the redline oil too. And you wanna stick with a gl-4 oil, not gl-5 as the gl-5 will corrode the brass synchros.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.