Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an 07 Wagon to replace a minivan. Need to be able to tow a light trailer and checked to see availability of tow hitches for the 07. There are several available so I went ahead with the purchase. Just had the hitch fitted and guess what? The installer cannot wire the car to trailer harness becasue of the LED rear lights. I've looked around and have seen several "convertors" which look like they may work but the installer scared me saying that they a) don't work with the LEDs and b) they would screw up the cars computer. Anyone have any experience or advice?

Also have a 2002 1.8 T sedan which I might have to put a hitch on. Any issues with that installation?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are converters for the LED taillights. It draws power off a direct 12 volt feed and minimal draw from the taillights. You need to run the power feed wire up to the car battery.

I saw one post were the individual connected the converter to the 12 volt lighter and didn't have to run the line up to the battery. Another post replaced the trailer lights with LED versions which have much less power draw and didn't use the converter. Those seem to be the options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I did some internet searching and I saw the converters. Guess I'll try one and see how it works. The 12 volt lighter seems like a smart connection point - its right there by the tail lights. Not too sure that the hitch installers are the "brightest bulbs" - they seem to deal mainly with pickups. These "fancy foreign" cars may be a bit too much for them!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts